Menu
Superuser
Superuser
Message 11 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Continuous Password Prompt on Outlook

Graham and I don't Work for Virgin Media.  I've asked the questions I have but it's up to VM to answer them.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos
jrussell
Tuning in
Message 12 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for that Graham. Fingers crossed!

Enjoy your day!
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Two things to check here.

Can you still receive mails in Outlook?  If yes then it's possible you might just need to tweak a setting in Outlook itself.

If no then try accessing webmail and try the Forgotten password link on the webmail page.

Tim

0 Kudos
jrussell
Tuning in
Message 14 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim,

Yes I can still receive emails in Outlook. And I've completely re-installed office to try and get around the problem yet it still exists. And the fact that I have this account on two separate computers with different versions of Office and both have the same problem indicates it must be a VM issue somewhere?

Edit: Also note that the "Forgotten Password" still takes me to the maintenance page.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 15 of 36
Flag for a moderator

If you can receive and you're receiving an invalid password error for outgoing then there's two possibile causes.

1. Outlook set to use a separate password on outgoing and incoming servers.
  2. Problem with Virgin Media's LDAP backend.

Now depending on which version of Outlook you have, changing it from within Outlook itself can bring up the new Repair and Change dialogs.  So I'm going to take a different route to do the same thing:

1. In the Windows search bar type Control Panel and hit enter.
  2. Switch to small Icons mode.
  3. Select Mail (Microsoft Outlook etc..)
  4. In the new window that opens, select email accounts.
  5. Double click the problem account.
  6. Click More Settings.
  7. Under Outgoing Make sure the following are set
    OutlookOutgoing.PNG

If the above is already the case then let us know.

Tim

jrussell
Tuning in
Message 16 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim,

Apologies for the delayed response. Yes the settings are as you have above (same settings as IMAP).

Thanks
0 Kudos
Cavallino
On our wavelength
Message 17 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Same situation for me. All of a sudden over the past 24 hours, the SMTP login details would keep popping up.
On 3 different devices, iPad, PC and Android phone.

3 different instances, not cooincidence that this is not an issue my end but on VM end.

VM - whats the status please?
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 18 of 36
Flag for a moderator

While I won't disagree that this is happening at the VM end, I would argue that it's not a full server breakdown.  Rather it's a problem with some accounts.

How can I say this?

Well one of the first things I do prior to making these pronouncements is check the server with my own account.  If it's a server issue, everyone's account would be down, yet I am able to send an email using smtp.virginmedia.com

Also over the years I've also looked at SMTP closely, and one of the things I've come to understand that although it may seem counter-intuitive not every apparent password failure is actually password related.  In fact there are actually about 12 different errors that can result in a password rejection but only one error that's actually down to a wrong password.

@Cavallino - With that in mind I ask that you start your own thread and use the Outlook Error logging method mentioned earlier in this thread to confirm the error message you are getting. - as a reminder the link to my post on how to do this is here.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/td-p/3237...

It's much easier to manage these threads on an individual basis rather than deal with multiple users in a single thread.

Tim

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 19 of 36
Flag for a moderator

I concur with ravenstar68 on this point.  It is clearly not a widespread issue otherwise this forum would have been much busier than it has been.  I have noticed a few connection errors with my blueyonder access via email clients during the day but none have lasted more than a few minutes.

However, there does some to be something going on that is causing problems for some users - VM have acknowledged this but it will be much later in the day before they can report back on any issues.

otronics
Joining in
Message 20 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Same here.

Using various Blueyonder email addresses via Thunderbird.

I can receive email but not send.

Nothing has changed my end.

This has been the case since Monday 10th June.

0 Kudos