Menu
jrussell
Tuning in
Message 1 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Continuous Password Prompt on Outlook

Howdy,

A few weeks ago, I changed my webmail password. All worked fine until a few days ago when suddenly I could no longer send emails.

Tried everything there is to know through Microsoft and as this has happened on the same account on two different computers it would suggest a Virgin issue.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 2 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Re: Continuous Password Prompt on Outlook

Read this and let us know the exact error message.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Outgoing-Authentication-Issues-Check-Email-Logs/m-p/32371...

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
jrussell
Tuning in
Message 3 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@MissPasko,

Error shows as below:

2019.06.10 09:34:46 SMTP (smtp.virginmedia.com): <rx> 535 5.7.8 Authentication Credentials Invalid (VM300)

Thanks

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 4 of 36
Flag for a moderator

The Superusers (community members) and the Forum Team (VM employees) know how to interpret those codes and will be along to give you pertinent advice.  Be patient!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 36
Flag for a moderator

That error message is one of the more straight forward ones - it means what is says - the credentials you are using to authenticate the smtp server to send emails are not a valid combination of a VM username and password.

When you changed the email password via My Virgin Media did you update the password in the email client to use the new password?

You may need to repeat the process again ie set a new password and then update the password in Outlook to the new one.

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

jrussell
Tuning in
Message 6 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Hi Graham,

Yes the password was updated in Outlook as well.

I would love to go and change my password again, however, when i go on to "My Profile" i just get a message saying "We're doing some essential work on our systems". So i actually can't do anything Smiley Sad

Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 36
Flag for a moderator

That is odd I thought that maintenance was cleared yesterday evening.  @ModTeam  why are some customers still getting the maintenance holding screen when trying to access My Virgin Media? 

Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A wrote:

That is odd I thought that maintenance was cleared yesterday evening.  @ModTeam  why are some customers still getting the maintenance holding screen when trying to access My Virgin Media? 

@Graham_A @ModTeam 

To clarify it's not the whole of my.virginmedia.com that's currently unavailable.  It's the My Profile and Manage Accounts pages.  I can go to My Apps etc.

Apart from that I'd echo Graham's question.  Is this definitely intentional and if so do we have an estimate on when that part of my.virginmedia.com will be up and running again?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

jrussell
Tuning in
Message 9 of 36
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68

Is there any indication of when this might be finished? As much as I love not being able to send emails, I could do with it being sorted

Thanks
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 36
Flag for a moderator

Thanks @ravenstar68  for the clarification.  I hadn't gone deep enough into MyVM - I too am seeing the maintenance page when selecting My Profile

@jrussell we superusers are not privy to that information but this has been flagged to the VM team and they have acknowledged that they have seen our questions.