Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Connecting Outlook to VM Email

Jonesey
Dialled in

Hi all

I'm having trouble connecting Outlook 2010 to my VM account

I can access my mail through the VM pages and have used the same settings for Outlook  but no joy

Help!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jonesey wrote:

Send test e-mail message: The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

I would check that Outlook actually currently has stored the settings as recommended by VM.

Account typeSMTP
Usernamerichard.branson@virginmedia.com
Server port465
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostsmtp.virginmedia.com

A while ago it was quite common that Outlook would always default to Port 25 rather than 465 for a secure outgoing (SMTP) server.  If I remember correctly, to correct it the trick is to set or reset the  encryption method to SSL/TLS, and then change port 25 to port 465.

I have not  heard or seen that Port 25 default issue in Outlook for a while but perhaps it is still lingering on and it would explain the error you are seeing.😉

Coenoy.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Is Outlook configured to use the following recommended settings; by default Outlook should autoconfigure itself to use IMAP and SMTP:

Incoming  

Account typeIMAP
Server port993
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostimap.virginmedia.com

or:

Account typePOP3
Server port995
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes
Server hostpop3.virginmedia.com

Outgoing  

Account typeSMTP
Server port465
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes

[Source; Email settings change]

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi, thanks for your response

Well, I'm halfway there. I can now get the Outlook interface open but it keeps on failing when sending a test message.

It logs on to the imap server ok but then I get:

Send test e-mail message: The connection to the server was interrupted. If this problem continues, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Jonesey wrote:

I would check that Outlook actually currently has stored the settings as recommended by VM.

Account typeSMTP
Server port465
AuthenticationPassword
SSL/TLSYes

A while ago it was quite common that Outlook would always default to Port 25 rather than 465 for a secure outgoing (SMTP) server.  If I remember correctly, to correct it the trick is to set or reset the  encryption method to SSL/TLS, and then change port 25 to port 465.

I have not  heard or seen that Port 25 default issue in Outlook for a while but perhaps it is still lingering on and it would explain the error you are seeing.😉

Coenoy.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi coenoby

That was it - all done now, thanks for your help

Thanks for letting us know that your issues have now been resolved @Jonesey.

Please let us know if you have any further issues.

Regards,

Steven_L