cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer inbox not working.

RichardB44
Joining in

Good Morning,

Please help. My Virgin e-mail system is working correctly and I can send and receive messages properly but only via my phone and tablet. My desktop computer inbox stopped receiving messages on the 10th February but will still allow me to send messages.

How can I reactivate my computer Inbox please?

Thanks, RB.

11 REPLIES 11

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RichardB44 wrote:

I can send and receive messages properly but only via my phone and tablet.

My desktop computer inbox stopped receiving messages on the 10th February but will still allow me to send messages.

How can I reactivate my computer Inbox please?

From what you have posted, it sounds as if you are using a third party email client or mail app to manage your VM emails on the desktop. That might be Microsoft Mail that comes with Windows 10 and 11, or Microsoft Outlook that comes as part of the Windows Office suite  or Mozilla Thunderbird.

If the email apps on your phone and tablet are working fine with VM emails, that strongly suggests there is an issue with the email client / app on your desktop.

The first thing to do is to check the email settings in that desktop app, specifically the Incoming server settings. Depending on whether you use POP3 or IMAP to download your emails they should be:

If you are using POP3, check out the comments I have highlighted in red.

IMAP server name

imap.virginmedia.com

IMAP SSL                

Enabled

IMAP port                 

IMAP authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

IMAP username        

Full email address, for example, richard.branson@virginmedia.com

Note: If you update your username in My Virgin Media, this email address will not change.

IMAP4 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)       

Disabled

OR IF YOU ARE USING POP3

(Note POP3 is not recommended especially if you managing your emails on multiple devices)

POP3 server name    

pop3.virginmedia.com

POP3 SSL

Enabled

POP3 port                 

POP3 authentication

Enabled (or 'Password' on Macs)

POP3 username        

Full email address, for example, richard.branson@virginmedia.com

If your POP3 username is prefixed by "recent" for example recent:richard.branson@virginmedia.com then you should remove  "recent:" as that will be causing you problems.

POP3 SPA (Secure Password Authentication)       

Disabled

Post back here with an update or more information on which app you are using on the desktop and exactly what error messages it is giving you when you try to receive VM emails.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Dear Coenoby,

Thanks v much for your detailed answer. I'll work through it. Reply later. RB.

Hi @RichardB44,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first posts.

Sorry to hear you have had issues with your email inbox. Have you been able to follow the advice given by @coenoby. Do you need any further help? 

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hello Coenoby, Thanks for your help so far. My system is still working but NOT my desktop computer inbox. My desktop computer runs Windows 10 and delivers e-mails via Microsoft Mail. I am NOT on pop settings. My IMAP server is: imap.virginmedia.com and my port number is 993 (as you said). I can see no error messages when I try to log in to my messages. I simply open my mail app and I see the inbox, still with no messages delivered since early on the 10th February. I am still able to send and receive messages via the Virgin Media website and my tablet and smart phone. My Microsoft Mail and Calendar app (which I have never altered since I bought the computer exactly four years ago) is version 16005.14326.20544.0. It is dated the 29/10/2021 which I assume is the date of the last upgrade. I am out of ideas at present. Thanks, RB. 14/02/22.

Hello to All,

I am still liaising with Coenoby.

Thanks,

RB.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@RichardB44 wrote:
 My IMAP server is: imap.virginmedia.com and my port number is 993 (as you said). I can see no error messages when I try to log in to my messages.

The next thing I would do would be  to delete that email account in Windows Mail and then set it up again. Mail will set the IMAP settings automatically. You are using IMAP so once you do that it should just synchronise with the all the emails in your VM account.

I don't think we ever established that you can see those emails when you sign directly into your VM email account via the VM website? Can you try signing in with your Vm email address and password from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  and just confirm that you can see those more recent emails in your inbox?

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks, Coenoby,

To answer your last query:

Yes, I can see all mail (everything before, during and after the 10th Feb) when I log into VM e-mails via the VM website. All seems to work well when I use the website access.

I'll delete and reinstate the account.

Regards,

RB.        15/02/22. 14.10 hrs.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @ RichardB44,

Thank you for coming back to our Community Forums. Thank you for keeping the thread updated on how you're getting on.

Please keep us updated on how you get on with deleting and reinstating your account to see if this can help you gain access to your mailbox vis PC.

Looking forward to your update.

Thank you.

Paulina_Z
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

If deleting and reinstating your account doesn't work, try the troubleshooting steps provided here: https://www.techsolutions.support.com/how-to/how-to-fix-email-not-working-in-windows-mail-12860

Microsoft also provide troubleshooting steps for syncing issues in Mail here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/resolve-sync-issues-in-mail-and-calendar-apps-in-windows-...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.