cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cogeco.ca

ianjayne
Rising star

I've posted this previously and note others have had the same issue in the past.

Both my 'blueyonder.co.uk' and our 'virginmedia.com.' emails bounce back from 'Cogeco.ca'.

Yet, my 'gmail' goes though to its destination.

Anyone have any ideas why?

Sensible answers only please.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The problem with requesting a change of status for your email addresses, is that it's actually nothing to do with your addresses themselves..

Rather the blacklist providers look for malicious traffic and note down IP addresses sending the traffic.  NOTE: these IP addresses ae one's which are connecting DIRECTLY to honeypot servers.  So if the malicious traffic has come through an Apple server then that is IP address which will be recorded REGARDLESS of the email address that it comes from.

Blacklist providers simply act in an advisory role, they don't actually block traffic themselves.  Rather it is mail administrators that decide what to do if an IP address appears on a particular blacklist..  What Virgin Media (in the case of VM email addresses) or Apple (in the case of iCloud addresses) should be doing is monitoring their mail server IP's to see if they end up on a blacklist, and doing what they can to stop malicious traffic being sent via their mail networks.

In addition Cogeco.ca - should be looking at their antispam measures and consider whether they are being too strict, and perhaps rejecting traffic that would be better off filtered as potential spam.  It is they who've decided to block traffic that appears on these particular lists.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

21 REPLIES 21

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The bounce back message would normally show the reason that the email has been returned - is this not the case with these emails?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The bounce message usually gives more information as to why the mail was rejected, s well as the IP address of the mail server that was delivering the mail.

A good start would be to post it up (mask out any email addresses though).

Tim

Edit - oops Graham beat me to it.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I've just sent another 'test' email from my 'blueyonder' platform to see what comes back, (it takes a while for it to be processed) last time it was 'spamcop'. This was discussed in my earlier posts on the issue lat year.This time today it came back and was sent by my other half using her iphone on @icloud.com.  I'll have a look when she comes in.

ianjayne_0-1612192341355.png

The above answer if it is an answer was from the last time

This time it's this:-

ianjayne_0-1612193554429.png

I've sent a 'change of status' request for all our email addresses to the above url.

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

That tells me that the Apple owned IP address 17.58.23.199 was rejected.

It answers one of the questions I was going to ask.  In that you would appear to be using the correct server settings.

Tim

And they have replied they 'see no reason to change their settings'. Also for virginmedia and blueyonder the same response. So be it. I'll use google to get across the pond then? 

Hello again -

We have reviewed blueyonder.co.uk, and determined that it does not need to be changed at this time based on BrightCloud’s classification criteria.

It is currently classified as Business and Economy in the BrightCloud Service and available in Database version 7.646.

You can read our Database Change FAQs for more information on the most common reasons why your suggestion may not have been implemented.

Thanks again for your suggestion!

- Webroot BrightCloud Threat Intelligence Support
Questions? Suggestions? Need help? Contact us at: wr-dbchange@opentext.com

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The problem with requesting a change of status for your email addresses, is that it's actually nothing to do with your addresses themselves..

Rather the blacklist providers look for malicious traffic and note down IP addresses sending the traffic.  NOTE: these IP addresses ae one's which are connecting DIRECTLY to honeypot servers.  So if the malicious traffic has come through an Apple server then that is IP address which will be recorded REGARDLESS of the email address that it comes from.

Blacklist providers simply act in an advisory role, they don't actually block traffic themselves.  Rather it is mail administrators that decide what to do if an IP address appears on a particular blacklist..  What Virgin Media (in the case of VM email addresses) or Apple (in the case of iCloud addresses) should be doing is monitoring their mail server IP's to see if they end up on a blacklist, and doing what they can to stop malicious traffic being sent via their mail networks.

In addition Cogeco.ca - should be looking at their antispam measures and consider whether they are being too strict, and perhaps rejecting traffic that would be better off filtered as potential spam.  It is they who've decided to block traffic that appears on these particular lists.

Tim

I agree, VM should be taking care of and responsibility for resolving this.

I remember some years ago we were in Florida on holiday and could not access our VM web mail, the site was being blocked by a Company called Brighthouse who are ISP there.  That had stopped though the next time we went after a couple of years or so.  I think it's still on here somewhere as I reported it when back home.