Menu
Rich7777
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Closing orphaned email account

Hi,

I ended my virgin media account about two years ago.  Expecting my blueyonder.co.uk email to stop working about 90 days after I set up a new Hotmail account.  I left the blueyonder address still linked in my Microsoft mail whilst it was still active just in case I had missed a contact to update on the mail change over.  However, the blueyonder one has never closed.  It hasn't been an issue until last month when I started receiving a substantial amount of spam, sextortion and "there's a problem with your payment" emails.  I have checked on haveibeenpwned and the blueyonder address is on there from a data breach.  I've seen others on the threads having success in getting their orphaned mail accounts deleted but on contacting customers services they didn't seem familiar with the issue, advising me deletion was an automatic process following an account being closed and they were not able to manually delete it.  

I appreciate I could just remove the blueyonder address from my mail but knowing its compromised I'd prefer for it to be erased completely.

Many thanks

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Closing orphaned email account

You have come to the right place.   A member of the Forum Team can get the process completed permanently. Just wait a few days and they will pick up on this thread.   They will contact you by private message to get your personal details.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Rich7777
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the quick reply MissPasko
0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich7777,

I'll gladly help rid you of this unwanted email address Smiley Happy I've sent a PM (purple envelope top right) so that I can obtain the necessary information. I'll keep an eye out for your reply.

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Hi Rich7777,

Email addresses exist no longer, as per my PM. Check them yourself via Mailtester.

Kind regards Smiley Happy

Jen
Forum Team

Rich7777
Tuning in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Jen,

Really great service, problem totally solved 

Thanks