Menu
Susan171
Joining in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Closing old email accounts

I closed my Virginmedia package account in October 2017 and was told that all email accounts would be closed after 90 days. Unfortunately this did not happen. I did not think this would be a huge problem except I have now been hacked and all of my previous emails and info contained are causing my personal information to be at risk.  I have also received a ‘blackmail type’ email containing my password.

I have phoned Customer Services but got nowhere. They said they could not close my email accounts because it was past the 90 days and I no longer have an account. I pointed out that it was their responsibility to close the accounts but still got nowhere.

Unfortunately the only reason I left VM was for the poor customer services that I had experienced over the years   Even after leaving, it still continues to haunt me  

If there are any consequences from the hacking of my emails, I will be taking further with VM  

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Closing old email accounts

Is standard policy the email accounts should have been automatically deleted, the forum staff reply in around a week to request further info and pass onto e.g. the IT Dept to have them closed 

--------------------------------------------------------
If someone's helped you out say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up on kudos. If someone's solved your problem, why not mark their message as an Accepted Solution, but only do this once issue has been resolved.
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@Susan171 wrote:

… causing my personal information to be at risk.  I have also received a ‘blackmail type’ email containing my password.

Is this the scam where miscreants quote an old or current password within the email in an attempt to validate the threat?

FYIActionFraud — Alert: Cyber criminals send victims their own passwords in new sextortion scam

[first posted in reply to  Re: E Mail address hacked]

Susan171
Joining in
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Yes, the same one.  I know it is a scam and just ignoring it but does show that someone has obtained my password, along with the people who are using my email to send out loads of messages. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Spoofing your email to make it look as if messages are coming from you doesn't need knowledge of your password.

If your username and password are being used by someone other than you the VM security systems are very good at spotting such abuse and act swiftly to lock the account.

As previously advised in this thread the VM Forum Team will pick this thread up in a few days and will contact you.

Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi Susan171,

I can arrange for your email address(es) to be completely closed down. It should take just a few days. I've requested information via PM (purple envelope top right) and I'll get in touch when I receive your reply 🙂

Jen
Forum Team

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi Susan171,

Email addresses have now been removed. Please check for yourself via Mailtester.

🙂

Jen
Forum Team