cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closing down my website. Email query

mobyduck
On our wavelength

I have an NTL email account and I am using Webmail on my website  plus Apple email client on my imac. On 19th November (next month) my domain name will expire and I shall not be renewing it for a while.  How will this affect my email service? Will I still receive everything through Apple mail, or will I have to use the ntl details?  I'm not at all clued up about this (I'm 87) and don't want to be left high and dry, as I do all my banking and other transactions online. Any help appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mobyduck

Thank you for making this post regarding your NTL email account and closing down your website.

Closing down your website should not effect your NTL email account, your NTL email account should remain active as long as you are an active Virgin Media broadband customer. You can access your email via the link @coenoby provided.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Serena

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

10 REPLIES 10

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mobyduck wrote:
I'm not at all clued up about this (I'm 87)

Don't worry, you are clued up enough to ask the question before you hit any problems. Youngsters in their 40's and 50's wait until things go haywire and then complain bitterly 😀

I see from your last post back in 2020 that you were planning to leave VirginMedia but in the end it seemed everything was sorted to your satisfaction.  Therefore I am going to assume that you are still a paying VM customer.
However, be aware that If you are no longer with VM there is an added complication that will throw a spanner in the works, so post back and say so if that is the case.

I have an NTL email account and I am using Webmail on my website 

I'm not really sure what you mean by "on my website" in this context but that's not an issue. The key point is that you can always access Webmail direct from the VM website from this link https://mail2.virginmedia.com/   So click on that link and add it to your bookmarks in your browser.

If you are not sure how to do that, do a google search for "how to add a bookmark in......" adding the name of the browser you use.  So for example   "how to add a bookmark in safari"   or   "how to add a bookmark in firefox"- I'm sure you get the idea with that. 😉

Apple email client on my imac.

Well, I must admit that I am not clued up about either of those - never used them! 😊    However, the same principle applies whatever device or email client you happen to use.

Using the browser on your iMac (probably Safari I would guess) you will be able to access your VM email via the link I gave earlier.

Your email client already accesses your VM email via a different route which is independent of both your website and VM's website. Therefore your email client will just continue picking up and sending VM emails as normal.

I hope that makes sense.  Post back if you have any issues but I don't think you will. 😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @mobyduck

Thank you for making this post regarding your NTL email account and closing down your website.

Closing down your website should not effect your NTL email account, your NTL email account should remain active as long as you are an active Virgin Media broadband customer. You can access your email via the link @coenoby provided.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards,

Serena

mobyduck
On our wavelength

Thanks to all for your input. Feeling happier about it now.

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mobyduck wrote:

Feeling happier about it now.

That's good to hear. 😉

However, if you come up against a specific problem or just want some more advice please feel free to come back here. There are lots of people who can offer help and advice.

All the best

Conoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

@mobyduck 

Sorry but I’m a little confused about the details of what you are asking about; you have a website (domain) called, mobyduck.info (or whatever). Do you receive emails addressed to fred@mobyduck.info (or however they have been named) and are these emails received on your iMac and via your own website?

Alternatively do you just use your virginmedia.com email address for everything and is it that address which is received on your iMac?

Now if it’s the latter, then nothing to worry about, but if it is the former, then once you don’t renew the domain name, all of the emails addresses and mailboxes associated with that domain will be deleted and nothing will come through to your iMac. Your virginmedia emails will carry on as before.

Incidentally, you say you won’t be renewing it for a while, once you don’t renew a domain name, after a while it becomes available for anyone else to purchase and use as they see fit - you can’t assume that it’ll still be there if you do want to reactive it in the future.

Now, of course, I may well have completely misunderstood what you were asking about, in which case please disregard all of the above and have a good rest of the weekend!

Best wishes

John

mobyduck
On our wavelength

Thanks for that, and the day of reckoning appears to be here. I have shut down my website temporarily, while I arrange to change the domain url. My webmail has now shut down, but I have allocated my Virgin email addresses to sites which I don't want to lose contact with (banking, Amazon etc.  However, I am now receiving the following notification when I try to send emails. What can I have done?Screenshot 2021-12-20 at 05.27.02.png

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mobyduck wrote:

What can I have done?Screenshot 2021-12-20 at 05.27.02.png

Welcome back.

Personally I had never seen that error message before but Google is a wonderful tool. 😉    Do, or did you, use Aweber to manage your email distribution from your website?  It does seem to be generated by AWeber,

I have no experience of using AWeber, however, one thing I would say is that if you have shut your website down, even temporarily, that may be at the root of the problem since AWeber would appear to be designed to work in tandom with your website.

Coming back to the error itself, I did find a youtube video that explains how to resolve that AWeber error;mailing list not active.png

Here is the link to that youtube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFn2yBsjO6U .  Hopefully the Forum Moderators will allow that link to be displayed but if not I would be happy to send it to you via a Forum Private Message. A number of AWeber users seem to have found it very useful in resolving that problem.

Also, there is also a small section about the "Mailing List not active" error on the AWeber knowledge base: https://help.aweber.com/hc/en-us/articles/204027596-Why-is-my-form-reporting-an-error-  You could take a look at that as well.

Finally, if you are still stumped I think you need to contact AWeber support. Their contact details are here https://www.aweber.com/contact-us.htm 

Coenoby

mobyduck
On our wavelength

Thanks for that. It seems that those with my ntl addresses are still able to contact me, as I have had emails this morning. Things may not be as bad as I thought. 🙂 Thanks for the links. I'll take a look if necessary. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@mobyduck wrote:

Those with my ntl addresses are still able to contact me, as I have had emails this morning.

Certainly any Virgin Media addresses (whether virginmedia.com or ntlworld.com) will continue to work as long as you have a VM Broadband contract.

You can always use the VM Webmail service from the VM website to send and receive your VM emails. You can sign in from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  using your email address and password.

Coenoby