cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed virgin.net account not sending ‘Message Delivery Failure’ message

MichelleUK
On our wavelength

Hi,

My virgin.net recently stopped working and I was informed that the account had been deleted, as they were closing them. It seems that, although I cannot access it, it is still receiving email. For the past week, I have been sending test emails to the account, along with a made up virgin.net account to see if has closed properly yet. I always receive a ‘Message Delivery Failure’ for the made up account but never for my old virgin.net account.

Please could a Virgin employee please check this for me? I previously had messages with Gareth_L who informed me that the account was closed but did not understand why it still was accepting messages.

Time has progressed now and it is still unresolved. I need to be sure that anyone sending messages to my email old address is told that it is not reaching me.

Thank you.

20 REPLIES 20

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Rvenstar68,

thanks for your post and input on this matter.

I am advising what I know our IT team will not delete the emails, we have been advised they are owned by talk talk, we are trying to see where our stance is on the email domain as recently I have noticed a rise in asking for virgin.net emails to be deleted 

Hopefully, we can get to the bottom of this to figure out how they can be deleted. 

Zoie

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

With respect @Zoie_P - I don't know who advised you that TalkTalk owned virgin.net emails, but to be frank they are talking rubbish.  If virgin.net was not owned by Virgin Media group then WHY did they migrate virgin.net emails across to the new server setup after Google closed their Apps for ISP service.

Michelle PM'ed me her email address and I've sent a test email here's the log of my server demonstrating delivery.

Jul  8 19:57:52 box postfix/smtp[2339]: 165E217A9B0: to=<m**********r@virgin.net>, relay=mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net[212.54.56.11]:25, delay=1.8, delays=0.14/0.02/0.48/1.2, dsn=2.0.0, status=sent (250 2.0.0 MXIN650 mail accepted for delivery ;id=1ZDbmez2f0ShI1ZDbmPpH5;sid=1ZDbmez2f0ShI;mta=mx6.tb;dt=2021-07-08T20:57:52+02:00;ipsrc=51.195.149.130;)

Note to mods please don't edit my post, the IP address is my mail server address and as such will already be known to would be hackers (they're very quick at detecting running services and trying to hack them).

This address is owned by Liberty Global company Ziggo Internet and is used to receive inbound mails for ALL four Virgin Media owned domains.

mx.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net

The 250 message means that the mail was accepted, so as far as the Mail Exchanger is aware, there is a live mailbox on that account.

Now you should be able to escalate this to either the IT or security teams in order to get it closed down AFAIK.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thanks, Tim 🙂 

I Will get this over to our IT team in regards to the ticket and hopefully, this will get some answers to get it deleted.

Apologies about the misinformation on talk talk, at least now we know and can help the customer with this again appreciate your input on this.

Thanks,

Zoie

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would suggest that you put your informant straight so they don't go telling this to anyone else.

I was a Superuser (the earlier name for VIP's) around the time of the ADSL migration, we were kept informed of precisely what was happening by the Forum Lead in Swansea at the time, so we could provide support and raise any concerns up to Virgin Media.

To be fair you're not the first to come out with this, we've had a long standing issue with phone support telling customers this, but to be frank, we expect better off you guys.

We're here to work with you.  I've picked up a lot of information over the years,, trust us.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you for your help Tim!

I clicked the ‘Helpful Answer’ button but now it looks like this post has been resolved, sorry about that.  Hopefully it will not deter Virgin from investigating this further!

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

If you go into the post options on the post in question you can Unmark it as Helpful Answer.

Tim

Thanks Tim, I have now removed the helpful answer mark, even though it was helpful!

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

You can always put it back when everything's solved

I've always thought VM should reword that option.. 😏

I am pleased to report that the email address has now been properly deleted and bounces back a message that the email address does not exist!

Thank you so much to Tim (ravenstar68) on your help in getting Virgin to resolve this issue, it really was a major worry! Thank you also to Zoie, who got it sorted with the IT people with Tim’s help.

Thank you for your reply and update, MichelleUK, glad to hear your email issues have been sorted. 

Cheers,

Corey C