cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed virgin.net account not sending ‘Message Delivery Failure’ message

MichelleUK
On our wavelength

Hi,

My virgin.net recently stopped working and I was informed that the account had been deleted, as they were closing them. It seems that, although I cannot access it, it is still receiving email. For the past week, I have been sending test emails to the account, along with a made up virgin.net account to see if has closed properly yet. I always receive a ‘Message Delivery Failure’ for the made up account but never for my old virgin.net account.

Please could a Virgin employee please check this for me? I previously had messages with Gareth_L who informed me that the account was closed but did not understand why it still was accepting messages.

Time has progressed now and it is still unresolved. I need to be sure that anyone sending messages to my email old address is told that it is not reaching me.

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

I would suggest that you put your informant straight so they don't go telling this to anyone else.

I was a Superuser (the earlier name for VIP's) around the time of the ADSL migration, we were kept informed of precisely what was happening by the Forum Lead in Swansea at the time, so we could provide support and raise any concerns up to Virgin Media.

To be fair you're not the first to come out with this, we've had a long standing issue with phone support telling customers this, but to be frank, we expect better off you guys.

We're here to work with you.  I've picked up a lot of information over the years,, trust us.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

20 REPLIES 20

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@MichelleUK wrote:

Please could a Virgin employee please check this for me? I previously had messages with Gareth_L who informed me that the account was closed but did not understand why it still was accepting messages.

Actually this is a situation that gets reported here quite regularly.

What often seems to happen when VM 'close' an email account is that they block webmail access to the account  but for some reason do not deleted the mailbox itself. That means you cannot log in to the account but it can still receive new messages which is what you are seeing,

In the past the Forum Team have always been able to get such accounts deleted fully and I am sure that they will be able to do the same for you.

One of them will contact you via this thread in the next day or so.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thank you coenoby!

Serena_C
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @MichelleUK

Welcome back to our Community Help Forum 🙂

Sorry to hear that your virgin.net email address is still able to receive email despite it being closed. I would like to get this email address fully deleted for you, just to confirm - was this a primary email account? Primary email accounts cannot be fully deleted, just so you know.

I will send you a private message now to clear DPA and look into getting this email account fully deleted now.

Please look out for the purple envelope in the top right corner.

Best wishes,

Serena

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi MichelleUK, 

thanks for your post. I can appreciate you have been messaging with my colleague/

We do not have the ability to delete virgin.net emails from here.

Here is a helpful post by @ravenstar68 which explains what has happened to your email here

Zoie 

MichelleUK
On our wavelength

Hi Zoie,

I think that you may have misunderstood.

This forum is littered with posts where you have indeed deleted the virgin.net accounts properly when they have been left in limbo. Serena has been messaging me and has a ticket with the IT team to get it correctly cancelled.

I can understand the virgin.net accounts being closed but stopping access, with no notice is bad enough but not to actually close the accounts so that they can no longer receive email is downright dangerous. I do not even know for sure that my virgin.net account was closed because it was an ‘orphan’, it may have been hacked for all I know!

Please pass this matter to a supervisor, as I really do not want to go back to square one just because Serena, who has been incredibly helpful, is on holiday. 

Thank you.

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi MichelleUK,

I am unsure where you have seen the posts as virgin.net were for the dial up accounts, when Virgin took over we sold these accounts to talk talk.

Even if we did have control over the virgin.net domain, the email you have given us is not on the account so we would not be able to delete it.

I can appreciate that but you should have been informed, our IT team will close the ticket as we cannot delete these email accounts.

I can appreciate your frustration on this as I can see you have been messaging for a while and asking for updates. 

I cannot escalate via this platform, I can raise a complaint if you are unhappy which I then can escalate to an amanager

Zoie

MichelleUK
On our wavelength

One of the posts is on page 2, titled Virgin.net and Ashleigh_C had said that she can get the account deleted.

I have also seen posts where it was discussed that TalkTalk is often given as the reason but that it is perfectly possible for Virgin to close these accounts. 

I really am at the end of my tether with this, please escalate this as a complaint. This really is serious. I am in the process of selling/buying a house and, although I informed my solicitor that I no longer have this account, important emails were sent there in error. The solicitor was none the wiser because they did not receive an ‘undeliverable’ message!

ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Zoie_P 

Dial up was never sold to TalkTalk.  It was closed back in 2013.

Virgin Media sold off the ADSL side of the business to TalkTalk, but none of the domains were sold off.  Virgin Media retained control of all four domains.

virgin.net
blueyonder.co.uk
ntlworld.com
virginmedia.com

What happened was that Virgin Media allowed ADSL customers who migrated to TalkTalk to continue using their existing email addresses for 12 months rather than the usual 90 days.

@ModTeam can you help @Zoie_P out here?

@MichelleUK are you able to PM me the email address in question so I can check if it's still live.  I'll understand if you don't want to as we VIP's don't work for Virgin Media, but we are endorsed by them.

Tim 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

I am sorry again I can appreciate your frustration, at the moment there is a lot of volume regarding this, I have let my manager know and we are looking into what we can do regarding this.

I have raised a ticket before for a virgin.net, reopened it twice, and had an escalated chat they advise we cannot delete them and then reach out to talk talk.

We are trying to find a contact within our business to see where we stand on this and what we can do, in the post from Ashleigh did the customer come back saying it had been deleted was there an update?
Zoie