cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Closed account, e-mail address still active and its been hacked

randv69
Tuning in

Hope someone from the Community or VM team can help where the phone support and WhattsApp assistants had no idea of the issue I was trying to explain.

I have a blueyonder e-mail address which was used for many years and is still active. The VM account with which this e-mail box was set-up has been closed and I can no longer log into VM on-line to manage this account... Maybe fair enough if hosting of the associated e-mail address had also ceased with a notice period...

However, it still works so I carried on using it. e-bay, paypal and facebook have all recently reported suspicious log in attempts and password reset requests which were not initiated by me. I've exhausted VM help team's powers by asking if they can put a block or help me change the password on this e-mail account which they are still hosting (this is the bit that really threw them) All they could do was repeatedly tell me that the account isn't active and they can't lock the e-mail account and they have no way to help me reset the password.

Surely, surely someone in the world of Virgin Media understands that the e-mail hosting bit of this closed account is still very much active and needs to be able to be serviced and managed by me or your support team, considering it has a lot of my personal details associated with it. Or at least just tell me you will cease to host it and all the mail history and account holder details will be deleted would also be fine!

As it stands I can only conclude that VM are happy being breach of the Data Protection Act and waiting for me to take further action.

Of course I'd rather not. Any solutions?!

18 REPLIES 18

Hi Dan

I think if you send a DM to Lee or Zak in the e-mail trail explaining the problem, they will request some details about the account and get it sorted for you. My orphaned mail box was closed down after 24 hours.

Hope this helps

Rich

Thanks very much Rich - have sent a DM. 

Dan

MrB999
On our wavelength

@randv69 wrote:

Hi Dan

I think if you send a DM to Lee or Zak in the e-mail trail explaining the problem, they will request some details about the account and get it sorted for you. My orphaned mail box was closed down after 24 hours.

Hope this helps

Rich

I would suggest you don't send a PM to any of the Mods unless they invite you to do so.  I made this error on Monday after a Mod responded to me on this forum for a very similar issue, thinking this would help speed up the resolution.  I received an Unsolicited Message PM from the Mods team, which I have apologised for.  I have subsequently been patiently waiting since Monday for the purple envelope/PM to arrange a Migrate and Switch (having done my research on here, this appears to be the solution regularly proposed where you still need email access and are still a customer, as they apparently need to link my NTLWorld account back to our live Virgin Media account). 

Hi Dan, 

Thanks for your post and apologies to hear you're having an issue with a hacked email address. 

As you're no longer an active broadband customer, we can raise this with the IT Team to get the address deleted. 

I will need to confirm information with you before hand though so I have sent you a private message regarding this and will investigate further once I receive your reply. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi Dan, 

Thanks for coming back to me via private message with your information. 

I have raised an IT ticket for the address to be deleted now. Usually the IT team are quick at picking up tickets however it can take between 5-7 days. Once I receive news that it's been completed, I will let you know. 

In the meantime, if there is anything else I can do to help, just let me know. 

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Thank you!

Hi Dan, 

Just popping you an update as promised. 

The team have come back today and advised that the address has been permanently deleted for you. 

If you have any further issues, please pop back and let us know. 

Many thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

Brilliant job - thank you very much. Emails now bounce back as undeliverable which is what I wanted. Much appreciated!

Dan

Hi @danjrudge thanks very much for your confirmation - that's great news!
Please let me know if you need any further help in the future.

Many thanks

Tom_W