Menu
reeshes18
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Close old email address

Not really sure where to start. Just didn’t realise it would be so hard to get an email account closed. 

I used to be a customer with you a few years ago. When I left I was told the email address I had would be closed down. However I have still had access to it through the mail app on my phone. I noticed last Wednesday that someone had hacked the account and managed to use it to get access to my Microsoft account through having a password reset email sent to the virgins email account and changing the Microsoft password giving them access. (I know it’s partly my fault for not updating my email address but I must have missed this one).

Obviously I can’t access the virgin media email account online to reset the password. Last Thursday I spoke with someone through chat and also on the phone. They both said the email account didn’t exist and that as I’m no longer a virgin customer they can’t access the emails for me. (Completely missed my point). It obviously does exist as I can send and receive emails through the mail app on my iPhone.

I then wrote a post on the virgin media page and got a response from someone called Gareth. He put me through to a chat and I was told the account would be closed within 5 days. I asked if this would be 5 working days and he said no as they work on weekends. I asked him when was the day I should expect  for it to be closed and he said Monday. He gave me a link to a website called mail tester and told me to enter in the email address and keep checking to see if the virgin email was closed. As of yet it still isn’t closed. I was advised by Gareth to let him know through my Facebook post if the account wasn’t closed. I did this today and have now been advised by somebody different to contact you on here. I have received a further email on this account welcoming me to the mymail app. This is not something I’ve set up and I am concerned my data is being breached by these hackers. I really want this email address closed down as it is causing me a lot of stress and anxiety. 

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Close old email address

Welcome to the help and support community coupled with my sorrows that your situation has brought you here. 

The Forum Team should certainly be able to get this orphaned account closed down for you once and for all.  They are likely to need to clear some security questions with you and they will do this via the private message system once they have responded to your post here.

It may be a day or so before they respond, sometimes they reply more quickly, just depends on the length of the queues. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

reeshes18
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thank you Graham but I went through all this with the security questions in the chat I had with Gareth from Virgin. I was assured the account would be closed so I hope you can understand my frustration at having to go through all this again. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

@reeshes18 wrote:

Thank you Graham but I went through all this with the security questions in the chat I had with Gareth from Virgin. I was assured the account would be closed so I hope you can understand my frustration at having to go through all this again. 

I do understand your frustration and really hope that the Forum Staff can do better than the experience you have had from the chat line.

Rest assured I will be kicking up a fuss on your behalf if you are still seeking a resolution in a weeks time.

I should just add that over the last week or so Virgin Media have been experiencing some issues with their back end email systems.  It is possible that said issues have caused a delay in your account being deleted whilst the system to do so was unavailable.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello reeshes18

Sorry you have had to chase this up 

It was myself you spoke to on Facebook last week 

I have just checked the IT Ticket for deleting your email and it is still open 

This will definitely be closed in the next few days 

Sorry again for the delay 

Gareth_L

reeshes18
On our wavelength
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hello Gareth

thank you for the reply. I’m sure you can understand that I’m eager to get this closed quickly. Are you able to give me an exact day to expect this to be done by?

thanks

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi reeshes18

I have just checked the request now and we have an estimated fix date of 20/06/2019

Gareth_L

reeshes18
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Great thank you. Hopefully I won’t have to come back on here on Friday then. 

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

If there's anything else we can help with please let us know reeshes18. 

David_Pn
Forum Team

Need help changing SIM card? Find out more about activating your 4G ready SIM. 4G SIM Swap Help

0 Kudos
reeshes18
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

It’s still active so if you can give me an update on when it’s going to be closed I’d really appreciate it. Thanks