Menu
JohnAlkire
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Checking for Mail

Used to be when I clicked the icon for Get Mail I would know if there was email or not.  These days it takes almost a minute to do so.  Any ideas as to why it is taking so long?

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Checking for Mail

Hi JohnAlkire,

Thanks for posting on the community and apologies for our delayed response.

When you go to access your mailbox, can you tell me what device you are using (laptop/phone ect)? 

Can you also please tell me if you are using our web mail or if you are using a third party email client to access your emails?

Thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
JohnAlkire
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hello Beth

I use an iMac running OS 10.15.6 and the Mail app version 13.4.  

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi JohnAlkire,

Thanks for confirming. Are you trying to load your Virgin emails through Apple Mail? Or are you just experiencing slowness when loading up the app?

Are you also having issues with any other devices or suffering from slow speeds when browsing the internet?

I'd start by putting your Mac in Safe Mode (this may help speed things up). You can boot up Safe Mode by holding down the Shift key while your Mac is starting up. Once the log in window appears, you can then release the Shift key and log in as normal. Try loading up your mail again from there and let me know if you see any difference.

Kind regards,

Beth

0 Kudos
JohnAlkire
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth

I use the Apple Mail.  The app opens just fine and any emails download OK, also any emails I send go quickly.  It is only when I click the get mail icon that it take nearly a minute to get any mail or tell me there are no new messages.  It is not all the time but does happen frequently and I have only been experiencing the problem within the last 6 weeks or so.  If it were consistent then putting my Mac in safe mode might be of value but there are no indications this would be of any value.  I am not experiencing any other problems with other devices or slow speed when browsing the internet.

My mail app is knocking on Virgin Medias' email and Virgin Media is taking a long time to answer the door.

0 Kudos
Beth_G
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi JohnAlkire,

Hmm okay, have you tried removing your Virgin Media email address from the client and then readding it again?

Do you have any issues when you sign into our webmail?

Thanks,

Beth

0 Kudos
JohnAlkire
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Hi Beth

Since it is not consistent, removing my and my wife's Virgin Media email address and readding it isn't going to do anything.  I don't think I have ever signed into Virgin Media's web, I have always used the Mac mail. Like I said, it has been fine until recently.

0 Kudos
BillC45
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

If I put “slow get mail on mac” into a Google search I get 63,600,000 results returned. So, you are by no means alone on this subject. It seems to be a recurring theme over many recent years.

Most of the advice seems to be focussed on “housekeeping” issues such as -

Clean out regularly your Inbox and your Sent folder. ...

1. Archive the messages. ...

2. Split Mailboxes. ...

3. Check for the new messages less frequently. ...

4. Remove recipients: By default, Mail will remember every e-mail address you enter.

5. ………………...etc etc”

Some fingers point at Anti-Virus products as a cause.

I suggest you have a read at and explore some of the suggested “solutions” and report back..

You should also check your connection speed at peak times and/or when delays occur. Download Speedtest for Mac.