Menu
MrDizzle
Tuning in
Message 11 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing imap/pop password

It's always been my @ntlworld.com account for as long as I can remember.   I've only changed my login email and contact email to a separate one recently when the account was compromised.   VM support changed the password for me on the phone and that change did not affect the mailserver either so I don't think it's this change that has affected anything.

0 Kudos
MrDizzle
Tuning in
Message 12 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've moved three times in the 20 years I've been with NTL/VM.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 13 of 17
Flag for a moderator

But you've changed the login email to a virginmedia.com address yourself?

As Graham's stated this is indeed likely to be the root cause of your problem here.  As a rule you should NEVER EVER change username to a different Virgin Media email address. (I did it myself and it caused me all torts of problems - in fact even when I did I had to do it in stages, it wouldn't let me change it over straight away.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 14 of 17
Flag for a moderator

@MrDizzle wrote:

I've moved three times in the 20 years I've been with NTL/VM.

In that case it does rather look like your ntlworld account wasn't properly transferred during one of these moves and is now an 'orphaned' account.

The username change has just added to the confusion. 

You will definitely need VM backroom staff help to unravel this, if indeed it can be unravelled at this stage.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MrDizzle
Tuning in
Message 15 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I didn't change it to a @virginmedia.com address.    I only changed it recently to an external @gmail.com address to secure my account.   

In my profile:

Virgin Media Mail

Virgin Media Mail address: xxx@virginmedia.com
Alternate email addresses: xxx@virginmedia.com (exactly the same)
Note: This email address is linked to your Webspace.

But when I go to webmail it takes me to the xxx@ntlworld.com account.

0 Kudos
MrDizzle
Tuning in
Message 16 of 17
Flag for a moderator

At this stage I'm happy for the @ntlworld.com account to be removed. It doesn't serve much of a purpose at the moment although there are a few correspondences through it now and then, but nothing that can't be migrated to a new address.

My main concern here is that someone has access, and it's hard to remember what sites and services I've signed up for in the past that could be affected. I've changed all the main ones over to the new address, Amazon, Paypal etc.

-Al
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I think that the IT team will need to check to see if this is definitely an orphan account or whether the change in username to the virginmedia.com address is the cause of your issues.

If it is orphaned then yes, they can handle the deletion, but if not then they should be able to change the username back to what it should be and fix the password links, which will give you proper control over the account again.  You can then change the username, but it must not be changed to another virgin email address.

Tim

Edit I personally wouldn't want to delete the address, I'd want to keep control of it so I can keep an eye on it.

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos