Menu
MrDizzle
Tuning in
Message 1 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Changing imap/pop password

Hey,

Recently I discovered that someone was accessing my emails because my password was the same as one that had been leaked online when some other sites got hacked.

Since discovering this, I have changed my virgin media password which means that nobody can access my account or email.   I recently find out that my email is still being accessed, so out of curiosity I set up the account on Thunderbird using the old password and lo and behold I could still connect and view all the emails.

It is the primary email address on the account and I cannot find anywhere to change the password other than the profile page on my virgin media.

Is there somewhere else that I am missing?

-Al

0 Kudos
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changing imap/pop password

Hi MrDrizzle, thanks for your post.

Sorry for the problems you've had with your email address - I can appreciate the concern this will cause. 

I will send you a PM to get some details so we can investigate further.

Tom_F

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Tom_F will be able to see if there is a specific issue with your accounts.

In general the route for changing passwords on your VM email accounts is:

Sign in to My Virgin Media, go to My Profile and/or Manage Accounts depending on whether the account concerned is your primary account or an additional one. Select the account concerned and then click on Change to the right of password if a primary account or View/Change then change to the right of password for secondary accounts.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

MrDizzle
Tuning in
Message 4 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Hey guys,

Thanks for the replies.  I will speak to Tom via PM.

-Al

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 17
Flag for a moderator

We have seen this recently but never got to the bottom of whether it was VM or T/Bird - btw how can it be T/bird connecting to an account for which it doesn't have the password right.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Password-changed-but-hasn-t-taken-effect/m-p/3916515

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

MissPasko
Knows their stuff
Message 6 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I've had another thought - do check all your settings in webmail - the autoforwarding and holiday notice.  Well all of the settings!  And do this for all your email addresses linked to the account.

And another - you didn't re-use any old password, did you?  It is always best to use a completely new, complicated password.

Obviously, this may not be pertinent to you depending on what Tom_F can see behind the scenes.  But it may eventually help someone else who reads this thread because of a problem that seems similar to him or her.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I'm going to message Tom_F and Kev_B directly over this.

This is an issue that needs escalating to the IT teams.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
MrDizzle
Tuning in
Message 8 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I think the problem here is that in my profile, it gives a @virginmedia.com address but my address is actually an @ntlworld.com address.    When the password for my profile is changed,  that change only seems to affect the identity.virginmedia.com sso system and doesn't seem to be syncing these changes to the actual mailserver.   Could this be because it's such an old account on a legacy system or something.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 9 of 17
Flag for a moderator

Has someone been changing usernames here?

The ability to change username is meant to be restricted to using a third party email address.  e.g. I can change my blueyonder username to be my gmail address instead.

While it IS possible to force a change to use a virginmedia.com address as an alternative username, it's not something that should EVER be done, as it messes up the links between the LDAP backends for Single Sign on and POP3/IMAP resulting in all sorts of strange behaviour.

Tim

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 10 of 17
Flag for a moderator

I rather suspected that this might be the route cause of your issue.  Did you first have the ntlworld email at a different location or VM broadband account, eg have you moved house since and got a new Virginmedia broadband account?

Use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos