Menu
Pickygit
Joining in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Changing Primary email address and Password

Owing to a hacking warning from Experian, I needed to change Primary Ntlworld Email address and Password. Failed to create a secondary email address (message 'Ooops - Somethings broken' ).  Also, after changing Username, could not access email to confirm. Now in a Catch 22 situation.

Phoned 150 Customer Support yesterday around 08.15 (13/03/2018) and passed to Technical Support. Explained my need and problems to a lovely and helpful lady who said she could delete my Primary email address, change it to a new 'virginmedia.com' address and set up my new password. After confirming everthing was done, I went about my day a happy person.

Absolute crap - nothing has changed. Now I'm concerned, this lady asked me several security questions about my account (including my Bank Sort Code). What trust can I have in this service when they are either incompetent, or are lying, or worse?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Changing Primary email address and Password

This is a perennial problem that we have to keep on answering on the Forum. It is not your fault but it does point to VM's inability to get this right when speaking to customers. However regular Forum Users and participants do know the correct answer.  And so will you after you have read this.

You cannot change your primary e-mail address. Once allocated it underpins the whole of the VM system for e-mail and for letting you access your bills and other stuff on line.

What you can do is use another e-mail address which you may have which does not belong to VM (like GMail or Outlook.com) and use that as your user name instead of your primary e-mail address. In effect you change what the world sees but not what the VM system sees. The primary e-mail address is still there.

This change would enable VM to send you the confirmatory e-mail of a username change which you can't at present see because you have tried to swap one VM primary address for another (which you can't do).

You can create up to eight other virginmedia.com addresses with fresh and different passwords, using My Virginmedia. These would be secondary addresses. You can use any of these to conduct your business and checking your e-mail by logging into them when you use VM web mail or an e-mail client like Thunderbird or Outlook. That means you can put aside your primary e-mail address and just use that to log into My Virginmedia when you need to check bills or such like.

Now your problem is an Experian warning about a possibly compromised e-mail address or password.  So what to do?  I think that  if you want a belt and braces solution you need to go down the creation of a secondary address option with an entirely fresh and new password and use that for the future.  It means you would have all the work to do to tell people of your new address and sorting out your contacts. I don't know enough about your e-mail set up to advise on what you need you do. I guess you are using VM web mail. It would be easier if you used an e-mail client. What you will have to do while you work through this process is use VM web mail to set up a forwarding rule to your new (secondary) e-mail address so that you still see all your e-mail as it comes in and so you can then tell senders about the change.

A halfway house would be to simply change the password for your primary e-mail account for something brand new and fresh. That would at least stop hackers and spammers gaining access to your e-mail account and to My Virginmedia. That might be enough to alleviate your security concerns. Saves a lot of hassle too.

Now that you understand the position, post back if you want further advice. I understand your annoyance, but please take care with your language on a public forum.  The first responders to queries like this are others customers like me who come here to help. VM Forum staff will intervene but it is taking them up to a week to reach posts at the present time. 

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Pickygit
Joining in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for your very helpful reply. I do, however still have the problem of setting up a secondary email address. Each time I try this is the message:-

Oops, something's broken

We're sorry this isn't the page you wanted.

This part of the site isn't working at the moment, but it'll be up and running again soon.

Other parts of the site might be working as normal, so try using the links below to help you find what you want.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Yes you do. There is a limit to how much I can write in one go!

The message you are getting is always an indication that there is an issue with your e-mail account on VM's servers. Only VM can resolve this. You have two choices - phone in the fault and be specific about it (I suspect you want to do this like drilling a hole in your head) or wait here for the Forum Team to pick up this thread and help resolve the issue. 

-----------------------

Superuser 2017/18
Use Kudos to say thanks
Mark answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
Pickygit
Joining in
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks again for taking the time for a comprehensive and helpful reply and keeping me sane.

0 Kudos