Menu
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 1 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Changed password in @ntlworld.com account now email in Outlook on Mobile doesnt accept it.

I changed password in an @ntlworld.com email account now the email address in Outlook on my Samsung 8+ mobile will not accept it, works OK on PC Outlook and Samsung Email, using IMAP but have tried PO3, still the same.

Just keeps saying SMTP address or password incorrect, tried dozens of time still the same, this is now the case for two email accounts, both I have changed password.

All settings for phone taken from Virgin site, but works on other emails apps anyway.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 2 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changed password in @ntlworld.com account now email in Outlook on Mobile doesnt accept it.

Hi Charmin9991

Thanks for posting and welcome to the community.

Have you been able to access the email account since posting?

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - "How to pay my Virgin Media bill"

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 3 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Re: Changed password in @ntlworld.com account now email in Outlook on Mobile doesnt accept it.

Hi,  The email account did work for about half a day on Outlook on the PC, then has stopped again, but haven't managed to get that account to work on Outlook on phone at all.

I have contacted support at Outlook and  I did a IMAP test using some Microsoft test software on the Phone, it all passed but one thing it said was after trying the account again was  Error: Secure connection not available, your email provider does not have the option of logging in over a secure connection for SMTP, you may log in using an insecure connection...

Dont know if that is any help, otherwise if that doesn't come up all you get is Password or / and username not correct.

It is still working on Samsung phone email fine.

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 4 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Should have said that the account works fine on Virgin Web Mail....
0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 5 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Would you be able to completely remove all the information from Outlook and re-add the details to see if that works to enable your email to work as it should be.

You can find the correct server details to add them back onto your account on this link https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-update-email-settings

Regards

Steven_L

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 6 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi,

I have already tried that with those exact settings both for IMAP and POP3,  as I said the IMAP worked for a few hours, now doesnt..

However, I have just tried again using the OLD ntlworld server settings for POP3, and it works, both on the PC and Phone for Outlook... 

Does this need to go to Virgin support as it seems the IMAP settings and even new POP settings just arent working with Outlook, phone or PC...

Or any ideas,,,?

Cheers.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Problem sorter
Message 7 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Have you remembered to change the password under outgoing settings? Some phones have a separate smtp setting area (iPhone email does) while others just have a setting for outgoing to use the incoming server settings.

Also are you using the virginmedia.com server settings for both incoming & outgoing incl SSL & correct port numbers (imap = 993/pop3 = 995 & smtp = 465)?

Highlighted
Joining in
Message 8 of 18
Flag for a moderator

OK,  five hours later and then phone has stopped working with it, also the "you need to re enter your password and username and settings have reverted to the new Virgin media POP 3 settings by themselves....

So PC still working with old settings, NTL, Mobile stopped.

I have checked the virgin account as mush as I can and am able this end, I should have said this email was apparently compromised along with the recent 51 million other people people who also had emails and passwords hacked, although there are no settings which seem out of place on the account is it possible something at the server end could have been changed, but as I said, it works on the phone using Samsung email and the Virgin mail....

Cheers

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 9 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Cheers for popping back with those updates @Charmin9991 sorry that you're still having issues with that one phone. 

Have you tried setting the email up on another mobile device to see if that works at all? 

I have checked everything here for you and all settings are correct and what we would expect to see. As you mention, everything is working ok via the MyVirginMedia and on a PC so there shouldn't be any reason as to why this would not work. 

Have you tried another email client other than Outlook? 

Cheers

Katie - Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Joining in
Message 10 of 18
Flag for a moderator

Hi thanks,

Yes it works fine with the Samsung client email app on the phone, just Outlook not working with this one address, I have spoken to them, Outlook Microsoft..  and they are escalating it.

Also, is working on the PC but only in PO3 mode, again the other email accounts, @ntlworld are still working fine.... IMAP and on another PC.. POP3.

The POP 3 is again sort of working, it receives emails at the moment but takes ages to send, but doesn't always send, the IMAP just does not work at all, and it still comes up with You must re-enter your password and Your message failed to send, go into drafts and try again, whenever I bring Outlook up...  which obviously doesn't work.

I have a feeling it is something to do with the SSL secure part as you cannot set that on a android phone in Outlook, it just seems to be set somewhere in the background, the other email accounts I have, several with @ntlworld.com are still working fine, it is just the one I changed the password, and yes it is in the correct places and the correct new password, so a mystery...

Thanks for your input, if I get an answer from Microsoft I will put it up here, or if you have any other ideas....?

Thanks

0 Kudos