Menu
Quirie123
Just joined
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Change primary email

I am wanting to change my primary email that is attached to my account. I originally set the account up in my college email as this was my only email address at the time. 

However, I have now left college and the email address  will soon become inactive. I have contacted customer services 6 times with no success. One agent has inputted my email address on the system wrongly, and every time I contact them they say an activation email has been sent, but they don't seem to understand that can't access the email as its being sent to an email address I can't access!!!

Please can someone point me in the right direction. 

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Change primary email

I don't fully understand what is behind this question. But let us start from the basic principle. You can never, ever change your primary e-mail address and VM can't change it either - with one exception (see below). It is inextricably linked to the account to which it relates. And all accounts are inextricably linked to the address (physical) named in the contract.

If you move and still subscribe to VM services you will be given a new account and a new primary e-mail address which VM create for you. You can create a further eight secondary accounts if you want and use any of those as your e-mail address, but the primary address will always be the one you use to log into My Virginmedia for billing and other stuff.

Now it is possible for VM to move your original primary e-mail address to your new account in a process called move and transfer. That process will wipe completely any new addresses on your new account. The process doesn't always work and VM staff don't always understand what to do.

But you now have the information to go back to them and ask for what I think you want.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Is this related to a Virgin Broadband account or a different Virgin service?  I'm thinking OP might be someone with (for instance) a mobile phone contract and the bills are sent to the college-linked email address.  So now OP wants to change that contact email address.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Highlighted
teabag
Superstar
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@MissPasko wrote:

Is this related to a Virgin Broadband account or a different Virgin service?  I'm thinking OP might be someone with (for instance) a mobile phone contract and the bills are sent to the college-linked email address.  So now OP wants to change that contact email address.

That's a good point, if true - you can log into the Broadband or Mobile online accounts and update any change of contact email addresses.

---------------------------------------------------------------
BB 200 - Hub 3, Phone Talk w/ends, Mobile Sim only. Customer since 1993.
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

I think what's confusing here is the terms you've used.

Typically primary email is the main Virgin Media email address linked to an account.  However the primary email address can also serve as a username to log in.  In some cases such as yours the username can be a non Virgin Media email address.

So I rather suspect what you meant to say is change username.

Note: the change username process is not completed UNTIL you click on the activation link.  So here's what you do.

1. Go to https://my.virginmedia.com
  2. Log in with the OLD username and current password.
  3. You'll see a nag screen telling you the username has been changed and to click the message in the activation mail - click the cancel link on this page.
  4. Once done you can log in and go to the My Profile section and input the new email address you want for your username.
  5. Complete the change by clicking on the activation link in your email.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.