cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change password in a secondary email account, only option when trying is to DELETE

Anonymous
Not applicable

I need to change a password in one of my secondary email accounts but the only option showing is to DELETE.

I have never had this problem before, why is this happening now?

I have seen  a link on line for a password change  but don't know if this is genuine and would rather ask here before using it.

Can anyone out there help, most people need to change a password at some time for all sorts of reasons.  Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Anonymous wrote:

Can anyone out there help, most people need to change a password at some time for all sorts of reasons.  Thank you.

Virgin Media have changed the way you reset the password on secondary accounts. All live VM email accounts including secondary accounts now have their own My Virgin Media (MVM) account and you reset the secondary email account's password from the relevant secondary MVM account rather than from the Primary MVM account.

My Virgin Media accounts for secondary email accounts  are basically the same as the one for the primary address except they cannot access details of your VM bills and broadband package. Provided you know the existing email password you can use that to sign into the MVM account for that secondary email account

Sign in from here  https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn  with the email address and password of the relevant secondary email account.  That will take you to the  "My Virgin Media" account for that email address.

Then navigate to the "Account details" page by clicking on the "Account settings" tab and then you'll see the "Account details" tab. Scroll down that page and you will see a place to edit the password.

If you don't know the existing password you can try using the stand-alone forgotten password reset link https://www.virginmedia.com/my-virgin-media/forgotten-details/password  but that requires that the "password reset question" has been set for that secondary address. However, the security question and answer in the primary  MVM account does not automatically carry over to the secondary MVM account  so you may well find that option will fail.

The backstop is that you will need to get VM staff, either on the 150 phone line or the Forum Team (VM staff who support this forum) to reset the password for you.

One of the Forum Team will contact via this thread in the next day or so.

It may have been coincidence but the changes to the email password reset process came about last year soon after VM stopped issuing email accounts to new customers and removed the option for existing customers to create new additional email accounts.

I hope that helps.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the information, I will try the link that you mention.

Anonymous
Not applicable

II tried it and it worked, thank you for your help.

Hi Alice,

Pleased to hear that's worked for you, thank you for updating us.

Do let us know if you need any further help 😊

Beth