cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Change Primary Email Address

changePrimary
Joining in

Virgin media state they can not change the customer's primary email web address

I am receiving dozens of spam messages each day.

It is a reasonable request - customers should be able to change  ** their **  primary web address

The only solution at the moment seems to be to close my virgin media account and open a new one . . . . five minutes later . . .

Now I realise I should not give my **Primary Web email address** to any person . . .

Is that what Virgin Media recommend because of their system requirements ? 

Because VM will never allow the customer to change it?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Thank you for your response @changePrimary

We can understand why you feel this way. We will take your feedback on board and pass it on to the relevant teams. However as it stands, we are currently unable to change your primary email address.

Is there anything else we can help with today?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@changePrimary wrote:

The best internet companies provide a simple-to-use interface which enables customers to update **their** details.

What VM do provide is an option to change the email address which VM use to contact you regarding your billing or for any service updates. The only limitation is that it has to be a non VM email address. If don't have one you could open a Gmail or Outlook.com email account and then follow these instructions:

1. Sign in to My Virgin Media https://my.virginmedia.com 
  2. Click on My Profile at the top of the page
  3. Under the Contact Details section, click 'Change' next to the contact email address (currently that will show your primary address)  and update it to your new non VM address.
  4. A confirmation email will be sent to your new address to verify

Once you have verified the change by signing in and responding from your new email account you will only need to use your primary address as your username / password when you sign into your 'My Virgin Media' account'.

As Howard posted earlier, "If you don't access the primary address for 150 days VM will deactivate it for email use but it remains valid and always will remain valid for you to access services through My Virginmedia, like your bills. This gives you exactly the result you want."

My personal advice would be to switch to using your new Gmail / Outlook.com / or other non VM address for all your email needs:

1. It will be more secure
  2. More reliable
  3. You will have no problems when / if you switch to another broadband provider.. Remember that VM addresses are deleted 90 days after you switch to another broadband provider.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

7 REPLIES 7

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

Please stop fighting a losing battle. You can't change it and neither can VM because the address is baked into their systems to allow the single sign on system to work. If you don't want to use it then stop using it. Create a secondary address and use that. If you don't access the primary address for 150 days VM will deactivate it for email use but it remains valid and always will remain valid for you to access services through My Virginmedia, like your bills.  This gives you exactly the result you want.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

I never accept losing a battle where the system is badly designed

VM can deactivate **my primary email account** if I ask for it . . . others have done that where their 150 day limit failed.

What is the problem with VM ?

Others have asked for a primary email account to be deactivated - VM have obliged

The people who answer these questions can also cause primary email accounts to close . . .

Hi @changePrimary

We are most certainly unable to change the primary email address as previously advised, my apologies for the inconvenience. I'd love to be able to help you further but unfortunately this is not something we're capable of doing.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

a) Why do other very large companies like for instance . . . LinkedIn . . . Provide a simple interface which allows a customer to quickly add a new email address and then change it from being a secondary email to a primary email address.  It is incredible that VM will NOT to provide this service.

b) The best internet companies provide a simple-to-use interface which enables customers to update **their** details.

c) The best company is 'Anglia Water' . . . . 

d) Among the worst are Vodafone and Virgin Media. 
   VM is the only company that refuses to allow customer's to change **their** email address.

Thank you for your response @changePrimary

We can understand why you feel this way. We will take your feedback on board and pass it on to the relevant teams. However as it stands, we are currently unable to change your primary email address.

Is there anything else we can help with today?

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@changePrimary wrote:

The best internet companies provide a simple-to-use interface which enables customers to update **their** details.

What VM do provide is an option to change the email address which VM use to contact you regarding your billing or for any service updates. The only limitation is that it has to be a non VM email address. If don't have one you could open a Gmail or Outlook.com email account and then follow these instructions:

1. Sign in to My Virgin Media https://my.virginmedia.com 
  2. Click on My Profile at the top of the page
  3. Under the Contact Details section, click 'Change' next to the contact email address (currently that will show your primary address)  and update it to your new non VM address.
  4. A confirmation email will be sent to your new address to verify

Once you have verified the change by signing in and responding from your new email account you will only need to use your primary address as your username / password when you sign into your 'My Virgin Media' account'.

As Howard posted earlier, "If you don't access the primary address for 150 days VM will deactivate it for email use but it remains valid and always will remain valid for you to access services through My Virginmedia, like your bills. This gives you exactly the result you want."

My personal advice would be to switch to using your new Gmail / Outlook.com / or other non VM address for all your email needs:

1. It will be more secure
  2. More reliable
  3. You will have no problems when / if you switch to another broadband provider.. Remember that VM addresses are deleted 90 days after you switch to another broadband provider.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thank you for your help.

Thank for explaining    when    primary web addresses can be deleted

Then realizing I met all the criteria . . . somebody fixed my details  🙂

Virgin Media must also like deleting   old   NTLworld  email addresses    🙂 🙂