cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send - login to user..

jphilweybr
Tuning in

login to server smtp.virginmedia.com failed with username xxx@virginmedia.com

Not the first time this has cropped I know. This time, I’m not trying to login to xxx but to my regular email. In fact I didn’t know xxx even existed. Emails sent to it don’t get bounced, so I assumed it did and added it to my Thunderbird account. That seemed to be accepted but none of the passwords I tried worked. I’ve managed to reset the password and get the message:  “….A confirmation message has been sent to”. Doesn’t exactly say to whom but my details appear a little way below. (I’ve got a screenshot.) It’s now a couple of hours and nothing has appeared. I cannot use the password when prompted so I’m in the infinite loop of “Enter new password”/”Retry” etc.

4 REPLIES 4

John_GS
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi jphilweybr

Thanks for posting. I am really sorry about the emails. 

Can I just confirm, is the email address we're discussing, linked to an active Virgin Media account? 

If so, then please follow the change password link and it should work.

If not, we may still be able to help, however there is a good chance it could be deleted as per the terms and conditions that state if the email isn't linked to an active account, then it should be deleted within 90 days.

Do let us know either way.

Kind regards,

John_GS
Forum Team

Need a helpful hand to show you how to make a payment? Check out our guide - How to pay my Virgin Media bill

Many thanks. I did try the reset password approach, it said “confirmation sent”, but none received here.

Anyway, what I did was to remove and re-install our two main accounts on the three computers in this house. A bit of a faff because inevitably I got the odd password wrong but at least we were up and running albeit with a hiccup as I speak..

Then, after doing this, and almost by chance, I looked at the SMTP settings. I didn’t think I needed to but just decided to check the default and found the username was xxx@virginmedia.com! So perhaps, from what you say, after being dormant for a long time, it was activated/addressed before being deleted.

Does that make sense?

Well it’s sorted, so thanks again..

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Thank you for the update Jphilweybr,

Glad to hear you have managed to figure a solution that fixed this

Zoie

And thanks again to you Zoie._P.  Fingers crossed - let's take this thread as closed..

Best wishes.