Menu
arfa69
Tuning in
Message 1 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Cannot send emails

Since Monday 8th June 2020 I am having trouble sending emails from thunderbird pop3.  It just sits there and finally come up with the following message ----"Sending of the message failed.
The message could not be sent because the connection to Outgoing server (SMTP) smtp.ntlworld.com timed out. Try again."

This is happening on Thunderbird both on Windows 10 and Linux.  No settings have changed and I have checked all the settings as stated by Virgin.

I think Virgin were doing something to email on Sunday night as I was getting a message that they were doing maintenance.

This really is very frustrating.

Regards

Arthur Howard

0 Kudos
Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot send emails

If you are still using smtp.ntlworld.com then you are not using the latest settings recommended by Virgin Media.

You can find those here: virgin-media-mail-email-settings 

However, there are some email issues at present but they are mostly affecting pop3 and imap when receiving rather than sending, although, I did have some issues last evening with slow sending.

See this 'sticky' thread: https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Intermittent-Email-Issue-POP3/m-p/4284151#M194013

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
arfa69
Tuning in
Message 3 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Graham

Thanks for the response.  I have now changed server setting from pop3.ntlworld.com to pop3.virginmedia.com and outgoing server from smtp.ntlworld.com to smtp.virginmedia.com

After this I did have to enter my password again and could receive emails ok but sending still seems to be very intermittent and only seems to work after I edit outgoing server but do not change anything and then click ok.  Maybe its to do with the sticky you mention.  Again everything was fine until Monday 8th and that was using the old ntlworld settings

Regards

Arfa

0 Kudos
Alex_RM
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 6
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Hi arfa69,

Sorry to hear you've been having some issues with your emails. This should now be resolved. 

Let us know if you're still having problems with it.

Alex_Rm

0 Kudos
arfa69
Tuning in
Message 5 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you
0 Kudos
kefg01
Joining in
Message 6 of 6
Flag for a moderator

Thank you.  They are on the virgin media settings already but can get nothing with Pop3/IMAP at all.  I will have a look at the thread.

0 Kudos