cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send emails.

sherod
Joining in

I have two VM email accounts. My primary email works fine. But with my secondary one I can receive mail but cannot send it. I just get the following error message.

The message could not be sent because the server rejected the sender's email address. The sender's email address was 'j*******t@virginmedia.com'.

Subject 'test'
Server Error: 530
Server Response: 530 5.1.0 Authentication Required (VM401)
Server: 'smtp.virginmedia.com'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC78
Protocol: SMTP
Port: 465
Secure(SSL): Yes

I only access my emails via my PC using Windows LIve Mail. Settings for both accounts are identical (except for the addresses)

I need my secondary email account fully functioning in order to try and recover a hacked Instagram account.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sherod  The VM401 error code is quite specific and indicates that the smtp server settings for the email account concerned do not include the username and password in order to authenticate that it is you sending the email.

You will need to check again the settings in Windows Live mail. Make sure that on the servers tab the box is ticked at the bottom 'My server requires authentication' and that the settings are correct when you press the settings button.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

2 REPLIES 2

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@sherod  The VM401 error code is quite specific and indicates that the smtp server settings for the email account concerned do not include the username and password in order to authenticate that it is you sending the email.

You will need to check again the settings in Windows Live mail. Make sure that on the servers tab the box is ticked at the bottom 'My server requires authentication' and that the settings are correct when you press the settings button.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi sherod

Welcome the the community 

Sorry to hear you're having some issues with your emails at this time. 
I hope the steps that Graham_A has kindly advised has resolved this for you. If you have any further questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to come back to us on community forums, we'll be here to help if needed. 

Here to help 🙂
Virgin Media Forums Agent
Carley