cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send emails from my Apple devices

loobyloo11
Tuning in

I can’t send emails from my Apple devices. I can receive cannot send. Can send from web page. I read elsewhere than virgin sometimes block outgoing emails due to suspicious activities. How do I get this investigated have rung several times no help offered. I’ve deleted re set them up no joy. Can anyone offer advice please 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@loobyloo11 wrote:

I can’t send emails from my Apple devices. 

I read elsewhere than virgin sometimes block outgoing emails due to suspicious activities.

There is a simple check you can do yourself.

If you cannot send VM emails from your Apple devices when you are connected via your VM home wifi but you can send when connected using mobile data (using your mobile phone's network for example) then it strongly suggests that VM are blocking your home IP address. 

Try that and post back with the result. That will help clarify what is going on with your email,

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

5 REPLIES 5

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@loobyloo11 wrote:

I can’t send emails from my Apple devices. 

I read elsewhere than virgin sometimes block outgoing emails due to suspicious activities.

There is a simple check you can do yourself.

If you cannot send VM emails from your Apple devices when you are connected via your VM home wifi but you can send when connected using mobile data (using your mobile phone's network for example) then it strongly suggests that VM are blocking your home IP address. 

Try that and post back with the result. That will help clarify what is going on with your email,

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Yes your right. I can send when I’m not connected to my WiFi. Thank you for that advice. So what should I do contact virgin again. They keep telling me it’s nothing wrong at their end

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@loobyloo11 wrote:
They keep telling me it’s nothing wrong at their end

Sadly it seems that many VM support agents do to seem to know about this possible issue.

In addition to Apple devices do you also have a Windows device such as a laptop?

If so Windows 10 and 11 include the curl command and you can use this to see the VM error code from the VM email server when you try to send an email. That will give ammunition to take up with VM to show there is an issue at their end.

1. Type cmd into the Windows search bar (the 🔎 icon) and press Enter
  2. When the Command prompt screen comes up enter the following

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password  

Before running that command you need to replace username with your virgin media email address and password with your password but make sure you leave the : between them.  You may find it easiest to cut and paste that curl command from this post into a Word document for example and simply update the command there.  So your edited text will be something like      

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u richardbranson@virginmedia.com:Thdgdt6jxr

Then cut and paste your full and updated text line into the command prompt and hit enter.

That will produce a long series of lines of information but what we are looking for is just the VMxxx code. For example VM305.

Post that error code here and that will give some clue as to why the VM server is not authenticating your emails. Do not post the full response.

If you do not have access to a Windows device then post back explaining that.

Coenoby

I’ve been on the phone with them for over an hour. Spoken to 4 different departments. 3 agreed my IP address is on a blacklist but can’t fix it. Excuse not been trained. No experience. In fact customer care UK is being moved to retentions in April. I told her she will be busy as there must be a lot of dissatisfaction amongst their customers. Anyway she’s raised a ticket to try get me some help. Meanwhile I can’t use my personal or business email through WiFi. I’ve been a customer since the beginning when it was NTL. In fact I worked for them in their Huddersfield branch. I’m frustrated that loyalty counts for nothing when trying to get a problem solved.

I’m right in thinking that VM is the only one who can solve my problem?

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@loobyloo11 wrote:

I’m right in thinking that VM is the only one who can solve my problem?

No,  not if the source of the issue originated from within your home network.

Were you able to run the curl command; if so do not post the results here without first redacting them or just post the VM error code here.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks