cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send emails from laptop. All OK on desktop.

Col_Mortimer
Tuning in

Using laptop whilst on holiday, I'm unable to send emails. I get the 'login failed - try again\enter new password\cancel' pop up.

I can receive OK and all works correctly on my desktop at home.

Both devices use Thunderbird.

SMTP settings are:

smtp.virginmedia.com

Port 465

SSL/TLS

Normal Password.

I have looked at a few similar threads, but haven't found an answer that works.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Col_Mortimer wrote:

Using laptop whilst on holiday, I'm unable to send emails. I get the 'login failed - try again\enter new password\cancel' pop up.

If you were able to send emails from your laptop when you were at home but are unable to do so from a different location I would suggest you need to check whether the IP address of the network you are currently using while on holiday has been blacklisted as a sender of spam.

1) Go here: https://whatismyipaddress.com/  and copy the IP address that is displayed.

2) Then go here https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/  and paste that address into the search field.

You will almost certainly find the address is listed in the Policy Block List  (PBL) but that is nothing to worry about.

However, if it appears on a Spam Block List (SBL) then Virgin Media will block emails from being sent.  VM have no control over those Spam Block Lists they merely use them to stop their servers being used by know sender of spam. You could try contacting whoever is responsible for the wifi network you are using but the immediate work around is find a nearby location with a "clean" wifi connection.

If the IP address you are using is ok then we need to look further to find why the emails are not being sent.😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

11 REPLIES 11

Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi Col_Mortimer,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community and welcome, sorry to hear you haven't been able to get your Emails on your laptop while away, 

I have tried to have a look our end however wasn't able to locate a account with the details we have for you, 

Have you tried removing the email account and setting it up again, you will find all the email settings you need here.

Kind regards

Paul. 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Col_Mortimer wrote:

If you were able to send emails from your laptop when you were at home but are unable to do so from a different location I would suggest you need to check whether the IP address of the network you are currently using while on holiday has been blacklisted as a sender of spam.

1) Go here: https://whatismyipaddress.com/  and copy the IP address that is displayed.

2) Then go here https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/  and paste that address into the search field.

You will almost certainly find the address is listed in the Policy Block List  (PBL) but that is nothing to worry about.

However, if it appears on a Spam Block List (SBL) then Virgin Media will block emails from being sent.  VM have no control over those Spam Block Lists they merely use them to stop their servers being used by know sender of spam. You could try contacting whoever is responsible for the wifi network you are using but the immediate work around is find a nearby location with a "clean" wifi connection.

If the IP address you are using is ok then we need to look further to find why the emails are not being sent.😉

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thank you for your response coenoby.

I have checked as you suggested. My IP shows 1 listing which, as you predict, is the PBL. There is no mention of the SBL. 

The shown location of my IP address is some 150 miles out!

Oh, and if it's relevant, I can send emails from a gmail account.

Regards.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, VM error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. Open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr  "235 VM") || (grep "235\\|VM")) 

Post the redacted results here.

FYI: Virgin Media do restrict access to their SMTP server from non-UK regions that may limit your ability to send emails; the suggested work around is to use webmail.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Sorry, excuse me for being a bit slow.

I am using Thunderbird - Do you mean the developer console within that program?

If so, it returns a syntax error (unexpected token: identifier). I have tried a few times and ensured what I have entered is accurate.

I am in UK, so no SMTP restriction issue there.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

In Windows open a Command Shell or otherwise open a Terminal window to run the curl command. Should the instructions still be unclear post back here stating which operating system is in use for further help.

I have done this too, but windows (8) returns 'curl' is not a recognised command.

Thank you Paul_DN,

But if you'd read my post you would see that my settings are correct. I'm sorry to be negative, but just posting a generic reply is not helpful.

Col_Mortimer
Tuning in

Hi,

Problem sending emails from a laptop when away from home, but in UK.

Get VM300 authentication error. Settings are correct - no problem at home.

Can always receive emails.