cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send email - error message: Blacklisted IP address

Alex_32768
Tuning in

Hi

Just over a week ago I stopped being able to send email. It gets stuck in the Outbox and then shows this error message:

Sending' reported error (0x800CCC67): 'The server responded: 421 csmtp.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net csmtp Sorry your IP 86.19.152.175 is active in our local abuse blacklist. Contact Virgin Media abusedesk for delisting requests'

Other useful information:

• I use Outlook 2010 from my PC.I have used the same account, ISP, and email for 5+ years without a hitch.
  • I can receive email no problem; the issue is sending email
  • I cannot send email from my iPhone when connected to home WIFI but I can send email if I disconnect from WIFI and use 4G
  • I can send email if I login to virgin webmail

In addition I have tried to resolve the issue in the following ways (all to no avail):

1. I downloaded Thunderbird email to my PC but still cannot send email (i.e. Outlook is not the issue)
  2. I have tried turning off Norton anti-virus. (Firewall is not the issue)
  3. Reset internet email settings e.g incoming/outgoing server, ports numbers, SSL etc.(Email settings not the issue)
  4. Create a new email account (automatically and manually configure).
  5. Turn off router for 6 hours and then reboot system
  6. Do a system restore to a time prior to when email issue started
  7. A full virus scan on my PC (all clear)

Based on the above the issue is not with my Outlook or PC settings. It seems to me it is an IP address issue (as the error message suggests).

I used mxtools to run my IP address against blacklists. It showed my IP address was on the SORBS DUHL list but, having spoken them at length, this is unlikely the source of the error as (dynamic) IP address was added back in 2008.

In short, I think my IP address, by process of elimination, has been recently added to a blacklist. As I understand it I need my ISP (Virgin Media) to help me resolve that i.e. find out which RBL (blacklist) is causing the issue and help me become delisted (or reassign me a new dynamic IP address).

If anybody can help it would be much appreciated. I've spent over 10+ hours researching this issue but have not been able to solve it.

Thanks

Alex

21 REPLIES 21

Sofia_B
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @Alex_32768

Welcome to the community and thanks for your first post, we're happy to have you with us 🙂 

I'm very sorry to hear you're having some issues sending mail, I appreciate this is very frustrating and we apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Thank you for outlining the issue in detail, I'm going to send you a PM so we can escalate the matter for you accordingly. 

Please look our for a notification in the purple envelope located in the top right hand corner of your screen. 

Thanks, 

Sofia
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Sorry Alex_32768, 

It looks as though Sofia was meant to send that second post as a private message but it's posted it publicly instead. 

Can you please sent the information she has requested directly to her. To send her a private message just click on her name and once her profile loads there should be a send message option at the top right hand side 🙂

Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi could you help me please, i can't send emails either and i get the abuse desk response when i try. I need access to my emails.

Hi jezzyby47

My original issue has not yet been resolved so I can't tell you what you need to do. Clearly once I do get a resolution I can let you know.

How are you sending email? Is it from your home computer using an email client (such as Outlook)?

Thanks

Alex

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @jezzyby47

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I'm going to private message you now to investigate this further, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

oscar18
Joining in

hi  - i have the same problem as well. can some one in the forum team give me some help? thanks. oscar18

Travis_M
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi @oscar18

Thanks for posting on our community forum!

I'm going to private message you now to take a look into this, please keep an eye on your inbox.

Regards

Travis_M
Forum Team

Alan_Sorensen
Tuning in

I have had the exact same problem, and tried various similar solutions.  The VM support page for this problem says if you change your password it will resolve in a few days.  I changed mine a few weeks ago before going on holiday, the problem is still there.

I have tried all the options with changing ports and SSL settings etc.  But like Alex32768 nothing seems to work.

Can someone at Virgin please let me know what I need to do to resolve this as it is NOT convenient to have to use the VM online email client.

Also - why have all the people who have said they have the problem been sent a PM, why not post the solution, or range of solutions, on this page?  Do you have something to hide or be ashamed of???

Thanks in advance.

Alan

Hi Alan

VM are still working on my issue. I agree with you that the solution ought to be posted publicly as it will save others time in the future.

if I get a resolution I will post it here.

Alex