cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send email, IP address is blacklisted

MrStreet
Tuning in

When trying to send email through Thunderbird, I get the following error message:

An error occurred while sending mail: The mail server sent an incorrect greeting: csmtp4.tb.ukmail.iss.as9143.net cmsmtp Sorry your IP [deleted] is active in our local abuse blacklist. Contact Virgin Media abusedesk for delisting requests..

This has been going on for 6 weeks or more, since my Virgin router got a new IP address for some reason. I checked mxtoolbox and the IP address I now have is on the SORBS DUHL blacklist.

Customer support have been useless, bouncing me around and getting nowhere. It seems as far as they are concerned, if I can use webmail there is no problem, which is not helpful. I have been sending email this way for over 15 years.

To try to figure this out, I have tried:

• Logging into WebMail to confirm my account is good (it is)
  • Installing Thunderbird on a new laptop and setting up according to the instructions here: https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients - (it also fails - meaning it's not my laptop)
  • Taking my laptop to a neighbours house, who is on Virgin (it works, I can send email)
  • Powering off my Router for a week whilst I went on holiday to see if it gets a new IP address (it didn't)

I can see other posts where many others are having exactly the same problem, but apparently piggy-backing on them is not allowed, hence the new post. Please can someone suggest the way forward so I can get this resolved?

Thanks.

7 REPLIES 7

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The forum team are best placed to help with the de-listing of your public IP Address from Virgin Media's local abuse list; be aware it can take them a few hours / days to respond.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello MrStreet

Thank you for bringing this matter to our attention 

Sorry though to read the above 

I am more than happy to take a look at this for you 
I will need to send you a private message to pass security 
If you can check the purple envelope top right of your screen that would be great 
Regards     
Gareth_L

Gareth_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hello MrStreet

Thanks for those details 

Can I please ask if you have ran a full malware and virus scan on evert device that is connected to your Wifi 

Gareth_L

I have, yes.

Thanks for confirming that and it has been over 48 hours since it came back clean with no infections etc 

Gareth_L

Hi,

Yes, it has

Thanks for that MrStreet

I have asked our out Internet Security Team to take a look into this for you 

As soon as I get an update I Shall let you know 

Gareth_L