cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot send any emails

Tropical161
On our wavelength

I have had a account with Virgin Media fo many years and have not had many problems, but now I cannot send any emails but can receive them! When I try and send any, I get the following error message "Connection Gracefully Closed". I looked online and I found that I had been reported to "Spamhaus" and been put on their blocked list. I went to their site and asked to be removed from their blocked list, but still cannot send any..

Any ideas what to do next please?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I changed my email client to Thunderbird, and have stayed with my Virgin account.

Kind regards

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

22 REPLIES 22

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

It would be helpful to see what, if any, error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. From a desktop or laptop device open a Command Shell in Window or otherwise a Terminal. and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password

Do not post the resulting output here but instead review it for possible reported causes or post just the VM error code here; choosing to ignore this advice and posting the output here unredacted or incorrectly redacted may reveal your email address, password and / or public IP Address.

-- 
I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click helpful.jpeg Mark as Helpful Answer and solved, or use thanks.jpeg Kudos to say thanks

I did have this error code once VM305

And that is confirmation that your home IP address is indeed on one of Spamhaus’ block lists and as such VM themselves are preventing you from sending email.

Although you can certainly request a delisting from Spamhaus (this is not something that VM can do for you), it takes a little while to be processed, but you were on the list for a good reason, ie you have a device on your home network which has become infected with malware and is sending out spam messages. Unless you track down and eliminate this root cause first, then all that will happen is that your address gets listed again. In the future Spamhaus may be much more reluctant to delist you just by you asking.

Thank you. I will check all of my devices.

I have checked all of my devices, and still have this problem! Any other ideas please?

I am now getting the error code VM304 in the send email section.

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Consider changing the account's password to see if that resolves the synchronisation of your password between Virgin Media's systems, i.e. VM304. If that fails and curl is still returning the same error then post back here to have issue flagged to the forum team.

FYI: to change password go to My Virgin Media then Update settings > Account details > Edit (located adjacent to Password)

Hello Tropical161

Sorry to hear of the email access issues, we understand the confusion caused and appreciate you taking the time to raise this via the forums.

Were you able to follow the steps as advised by 用心棒 to resolve the issue or do you still get the same error message? Let us know and we can assist further.

Rob

Hello Rob,

I did what 用心棒 advised, but still the same result. I just checked my email account and today the error message is the same "VM304".

Kind regards