Menu
MartinStanesby
Joining in
Message 1 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Cannot create new email account

Hello,

Two issues.

1. I created a new email account successfully but then I cannot login with these details after? It just says wrong password or address? Also, the new account does not appear under the Account section. Where has it gone?

2. When I try to create a new account and a suggestion comes up, if I select the suggestion but then change my mind WITHOUT even creating that account, the suggestion is no longer available and it just tells me it's is 'unavailable'? 

I refreshed my browser and cleared the cache but it still returns the daft notification.

Virgin Media your email system is the most glichy awful system of all emails I have used. 

Please can you provide a solution to this.

Martin

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot create new email account

@MartinStanesby wrote:

Hello,

Two issues.

1. I created a new email account successfully but then I cannot login with these details after? It just says wrong password or address? Also, the new account does not appear under the Account section. Where has it gone?

Most likely the account creation process has failed internally at the VM end if the address is not visible in My Virginmedia when you have created it. Either try again in 24 hours or wait here for the Forum Team to take a look at your account - few days wait

2. When I try to create a new account and a suggestion comes up, if I select the suggestion but then change my mind WITHOUT even creating that account, the suggestion is no longer available and it just tells me it's is 'unavailable'? 

I refreshed my browser and cleared the cache but it still returns the daft notification.

Name options which are not used immediately are quarantined for about 2 hours. Then they become available for use again

Virgin Media your email system is the most glichy awful system of all emails I have used. 

One is tempted to ask why you are using it when there are plenty of free non-ISP  linked alternatives out there?

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
MartinStanesby
Joining in
Message 3 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the info.

It figures that it's a problem at the Virgin Media end. What else would it be.

And why am I using a Virgin Media email account?....because it's part of what I pay for every month. Further to this, when you've had an email provider for some time and accounts, subscriptions, contacts have this address, the last thing you can be bothered with is having yet another one.

And even furthermore, free email accounts do not have very good anti spam and security (not that Virgin Media's is that great). But I would think these reasons will go someway to answer why one has a Virgin Media email.

Martin

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@MartinStanesby wrote:

Thanks for the info.

It figures that it's a problem at the Virgin Media end. What else would it be.

And why am I using a Virgin Media email account?....because it's part of what I pay for every month. Further to this, when you've had an email provider for some time and accounts, subscriptions, contacts have this address, the last thing you can be bothered with is having yet another one.

And even furthermore, free email accounts do not have very good anti spam and security (not that Virgin Media's is that great). But I would think these reasons will go someway to answer why one has a Virgin Media email.

Martin

So it won't come as any surprise for you to learn that the majority of experienced users on this site, including the Superusers have long disavowed the use of any ISP related e-mail service; for several reasons. Firstly the free but ad supported suppliers have a better reputation for e-mail spam filtering. The two major ones have better security using two factor authentication (VM does not and is not likely to have 2FA) and the most significant advantage is that if you ever leave VM you don't have the problem of ever having to sort out all your registrations because your e-mail address is yours and doesn't get cancelled by your ISP. on leaving. 

One large ISP (Orange) completely dumped its e-mail service a couple of years back  and told its users (old Freeserve customers) to go with one of the non-ISP free providers. My wife was in that position and hasn't looked back.  And because I practice what I preach I don't use VM mail for anything other than VM communications to me like bills.   

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 5 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@MartinStanesby wrote:

Have you ever tried Gmail? My experience is that their spam filters have never put a foot wrong and I love the fact that they actually tell you why they have classified an email as spam.

Gmail also has 2 factor authentication while VM just relies on a simple password.

"when you've had an email provider for some time and accounts, subscriptions, contacts have this address, the last thing you can be bothered with is having yet another one."

So VM's ploy has worked then? By getting you to use their email service they have got you as a customer for life because their email service is only available to VM customers.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 6 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@coenoby wrote:

So VM's ploy has worked then? By getting you to use their email service they have got you as a customer for life because their email service is only available to VM customers.

Coenoby

Oh my goodness - that is so true - great observation.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
MartinStanesby
Joining in
Message 7 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I think you're all probably right.

I want to ditch VM email coz it does suck. And I certainly don't want to be trapped with having to stay with them either. 

Is Gmail the recommended free email to use then? Google seems quite intrusive with having to sign in for everything online so it can keep an eye on you and knows where you are all the time. 

Thanks for all of your replies.

Martin

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 8 of 11
Flag for a moderator

I have heard proton mail is good (but haven't tried it yet).

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
daveeb
Dialled in
Message 9 of 11
Flag for a moderator

Proton mail is good (secure) but a bit of a faff if you want to use it with an e-mail client such as Thunderbird. It also costs unless you use the barebones version which can currently only be used via webmail.

0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 11
Flag for a moderator

@MartinStanesby wrote:

Is Gmail the recommended free email to use then?

To be honest, your best bet is to do an online search for "best free email providers" or something similar.

That will bring up a host of sites reviewing the main candidates.

1) Read through those reviewsSmiley Happy

2) Pick an email provider that sounds good to you

3) Create an account on that service and do a bit of testing in conjunction with your VM email account to see how your new email account works

If you like that one go with it and start the process of switching over to it but if not just leave it and try out another provider.

The 'best' one is the one that works best for you. Smiley Happy

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer