Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Cannot connect to SMTP server - Error code VM 305

I am having problems connecting to the SMTP server to receive emails into Outlook.  I am receiving emails and so have run the logging routine in outlook as suggested in another thread and it comes up with Authentication Denied Code VM305

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot connect to SMTP server - Error code VM 305

If you are seeing this VM error then follow the guidance in this thread:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/20**:**:**:**:**:**-SMTP-smtp-virginmedia-com-lt-rx-gt-52...

You can also check for yourself and confirm that your home IP address is listed on Spamhaus's SBLCSS list by entering IP in a Google search page and pasting it here:

https://www.spamhaus.org/lookup/

Bear this in mind - if you don't find the source of infection and remove it you will be continuously listed and VM will decline to send your e-mail.d

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thank you for the information.  Could you advise how I find out what my IP address is please?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Read the second para of my post above.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 5 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Thanks, I should have read it more carefully.  Done that and it does say I am listed in the CSS list of the SBL.  Just need to work out how to get off this!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Follow the guidance on tracking down the source of the malware that is sending spam. Then and only then can you apply for a de-listing of your IP address. We have found PCs Firesticks, Smart TV and other devices infected with this malware. You need to use Wireshark in way we have described. Start with just your PC and then add devices to a wifi hotspot as you go.

This is how to use W/S

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Security-matters/Searching-for-Spambots-on-your-network/td-p/40...

Post back if you need help or help in interpreting the W/S captures

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 7 of 8
Flag for a moderator

I have run Wireshark and not highlighted any issues and so was going to go for a delisting request with Spamhaus.  I have my IP address but was wondering what exactly do I need to put in as the host name for the IP

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 8
Flag for a moderator

Well something on your network is sending spam through port 25 TCP. If it is not your PC then it must be something else. What else have you got connected to the Hub. It is possible that the spam bot has gone quiet if it is on your PC but it'll start up again and you'll get listed again. That is how they work. You may need to let W/S run for longer.

0 Kudos