cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access ntlworld email account

SweenyT1969
Tuning in

I keep getting a message saying my ntlworld email is unavailable and to try back which I have done several times to find I still cannot access my email. It was working this morning then it  stopped working 

4 REPLIES 4

albob
Superfast

albob
Superfast

Johnk55 - have a read of this post from  Coenoby (kudos to Coenoby for the info...)

"....Unlike @Zoie_P I am not a Virgin Media employee, so I hope you won't mind me butting in here.

I don't know whether you have seen this post from VM (it's right at the top of the list of forum threads) https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-accounts-locked-mailbox-unable-unable-to-access-ema...  It explains about resetting your email password to unlock the account.

You will see that post mentions VM's "spam and abuse system". Understandably VM don't give any detailed information as to how that works.

However, it would seem that something is continually causing the "spam an abuse system" to lock your email account. Resetting the password unlocks the account but presumably does nothing to address the issue that is causing the account to be unlocked.

One paragraph in that post says:

"In addition to the password reset, please also perform a full virus scan on all devices where you have used your email address to prevent your email address and IP address from being picked up by our spam and abuse system."

Personally I would go further than that and adopt a belt and braces approach, Scan with your usual AV but then scan again with a malware scanner such as Malwarebytes or with a different AV scanner. The second scanner may pick up an issue the first one missed.

I am not saying that if you do that it will stop your VM account be locked again, but at least you will have done all you can.

I noticed you mentioned in an earlier post on this thread about switching to a non VM email service. That is a great idea, the VM email service is very basic service and any of the mainstream services (see my link below) will give you an account which will:

• be more secure
  • be more reliable
  • be better supported
  • be better at filtering spam
  • and wlll not be deactivated  if / when you change your broadband provider.

(See here for some ideas https://www.toptenreviews.com/best-free-email-services)

I hope that's useful.

Coenoby........"

SweenyT1969
Tuning in

After changing my password I got access and once I had access thanks everyone who replied

Hey SweenyT1969,

Thanks you for reaching back out to us and for the update, glad to hear changing the password worked for you and that you now have access, apologies for any inconvenience caused.

If you do have any further issues at all please do not hesitate to come back?

Regards

Paul.