Menu
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 11 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot access my Email on line

@EllGeePee

Hi - It is so lovely that you think I'm being helpful!, But in this forum system, the "helpful answer" makes it look like your problem is solved - and it isn't over yet (and my assessment might not be completely accurate - The forum team can check all your personal information in Virgin's system, while I'm just going on what you said so far)!

Please scroll back to those posts and untick the option for helpful - wait until the Forum Team have actually been in touch and got your emails where you want them. :-)

solution.PNG

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 12 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Tim/Ravenstar68 - do you think it unusual that EllGeePee can see his/her email address in the MyProfile, but can't access webmail?  (I am trying to learn about the finer details of these situations.)  Have I asked the question correctly?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 13 of 20
Flag for a moderator

I would have thought it unusual - however at this point I would rather this now gets escalated to IT so that they can see exactly what the status of the email address is, as even if it's not orphanned, there may be other back end issues that the email team can correct.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 14 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Okay, thank you!

0 Kudos
EllGeePee
Dialled in
Message 15 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@MissPasko wrote:

Tim/Ravenstar68 - do you think it unusual that EllGeePee can see his/her email address in the MyProfile, but can't access webmail?  (I am trying to learn about the finer details of these situations.)  Have I asked the question correctly?

Way back, when I first had an account it was "@ntlworld.com" and I have to log in with that account name and PW because I was told that if I change it to (say) a virgin media account/address then I will lose all my long association history. Way back I was given a free account by RB himself because I was running a charity and every penny helped. (I'm a Mr, not a Mrs/Ms/Miss etc btw).    That identity (NTL) may be the reason the virgin email account is not associated with it anymore - just a thought.

As far as someone from Virgin picking up this thread and doing something about it, is that likely?   Or is there a way of getting some help by direct approach?

Graham

Highlighted
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 16 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Hi EllGeePee, 

Thank you for your post Smiley Happy 

I am going to private message you to look into this if that's okay. 

Ryan_N - Forum Team
0 Kudos
EllGeePee
Dialled in
Message 17 of 20
Flag for a moderator

Fine, Ryan. Any help appreciated.  Graham

Superuser
Superuser
Message 18 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@EllGeePee wrote:

@MissPasko wrote:

Way back, when I first had an account it was "@ntlworld.com" and I have to log in with that account name and PW because I was told that if I change it to (say) a virgin media account/address then I will lose all my long association history. Way back I was given a free account by RB himself because I was running a charity and every penny helped. (I'm a Mr, not a Mrs/Ms/Miss etc btw).    That identity (NTL) may be the reason the virgin email account is not associated with it anymore - just a thought.

As far as someone from Virgin picking up this thread and doing something about it, is that likely?   Or is there a way of getting some help by direct approach?

Graham

This could well get messy.

Virgin.net was originally a joint venture by Virgin Group and NTL however NTL eventually took over sole ownership of the virgin.net brand prior to merging with Telewest.  Incidentally Virgin Media was a rebranding of NTL/Telewest after they bought Virgin Mobile from Virgin Group.  Richard Branson never actually ran the company he simply provided them with a license allowing them to use the Virgin brand.

virgin.net email addresses were never really "free" they were associated with dial up internet accounts and then when ADSL started many users with ADSL used them to keep using many of the Free internet accounts you had to dial in at least once every 180 days or the account would be closed.

This by the way is the root of the erroneous information regarding virgin.net emails being managed by talktalk comes from.

The ADSL side was sold off to TalkTalk, but this did not include the virgin.net email domain, principally because Virgin Media themselves still have broadband customers who use this.  Instead Virgin Media told customers who were transferred that they could use their address for up to 12 months after the transfer, after which the email address would be retired.  As the transfer was back in 2014/15, there should be no TalkTalk customers using virgin.net email addresses.

Likewise the dial up service was closed back in 2013 and any accounts linked to that service should have automatically closed as well.

You're not going to be able to keep the virgin.net address and the email addresses linked to your current broadband account.

You're going to have to face a choice - keep the ntlworld address or keep the virgin.net address.

Under Virgin's system emails are not independent entities, they are intimately linked with the internet account under which they are created.  The only way to keep the virgin.net address would be via a move and transfer - but this takes all emails associated with the virgin.net email and replaces ALL the emails created under your existing account.

Tim

EllGeePee
Dialled in
Message 19 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@ravenstar68 wrote:

@EllGeePee wrote:

@MissPasko wrote:

Graham

This could well get messy.

Virgin.net was originally a joint venture by Virgin Group and NTL however NTL eventually took over sole ownership of the virgin.net brand prior to merging with Telewest.  Incidentally Virgin Media was a rebranding of NTL/Telewest after they bought Virgin Mobile from Virgin Group.  Richard Branson never actually ran the company he simply provided them with a license allowing them to use the Virgin brand.

virgin.net email addresses were never really "free" they were associated with dial up internet accounts and then when ADSL started many users with ADSL used them to keep using many of the Free internet accounts you had to dial in at least once every 180 days or the account would be closed.

This by the way is the root of the erroneous information regarding virgin.net emails being managed by talktalk comes from.

The ADSL side was sold off to TalkTalk, but this did not include the virgin.net email domain, principally because Virgin Media themselves still have broadband customers who use this.  Instead Virgin Media told customers who were transferred that they could use their address for up to 12 months after the transfer, after which the email address would be retired.  As the transfer was back in 2014/15, there should be no TalkTalk customers using virgin.net email addresses.

Likewise the dial up service was closed back in 2013 and any accounts linked to that service should have automatically closed as well.

You're not going to be able to keep the virgin.net address and the email addresses linked to your current broadband account.

You're going to have to face a choice - keep the ntlworld address or keep the virgin.net address.

Under Virgin's system emails are not independent entities, they are intimately linked with the internet account under which they are created.  The only way to keep the virgin.net address would be via a move and transfer - but this takes all emails associated with the virgin.net email and replaces ALL the emails created under your existing account.

Tim

Thanks for those five reassuring words, Tim! (This could get messy!) I think it has already. I do also have a Gmail account but did not mention it as too much information! However, I could simply use that account and let the virgin die a natural death. I am still using virgin.net but there seems to be no web backup so important messages that I would wish to keep run the risk of getting lost. One option is to slowly stop using that account and nag my contacts into only using the Gmail account.

I should also mention that Virgin sends me my monthly bills using the virgin.net account - I wonder how they would feel if I asked them to use the gmail account in future?  I must review my options.

Graham

Superuser
Superuser
Message 20 of 20
Flag for a moderator

@EllGeePee 

My apologies - one of my defining traits is that I like to call a spade a spade.  If you look at my profile you'll see I've been active on the Forums for a long time and since 2014 I've tended to concentrate on emails - at the same time improving my knowledge as we go along with the help of other users and more importantly Forum Team members posts on here.

How would Virgin feel if you asked them to send your info to a Gmail address instead?  So long as it belongs to you and it works, it doesn't matter what email address you have your billing updates sent to.  All that matters is that they have A valid email address, not what the email address is, (something that people do get confused about when reading the T&Cs BTW)

My main concern at this point is to make sure that you are aware of the situation.  If you have a profile with an ntlworld.com address as primary and a profile with a virgin.net email address as primary - you're not going to be able to keep both profiles - one is going to have to go, so if you use the ntlworld addresses as well then you are going to have to make a choice as to which addresses you want to keep.

Tim