cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access blueyonder email any more

neil-bottomley
Joining in

Hi.

I moved house just over 3 years ago. When we moved I was given a new VM account number which also meant I had to take a new @virginmedia.com email address to manage the new account.

At my old address I had the older @blueyonder email address and used that to login to VM prior to the move.

After moving I was told by VM Support that my @blueyonder account would be retained indefinitely and I could still continue to use which until a few days ago I was able to do.

Now however I can no longer access the blueyonder email account, which I continued to use as my main email account account after moving house. The last time my email client was able to sync was 4th Jan 2022.

I have not been able to access the original @blueyonder account via VM Web Mail for a long time now so I have no way to reset my password, if that is the cause of the issue, eg account has been locked for some unknown reason.

9 REPLIES 9

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@neil-bottomley wrote:

After moving I was told by VM Support that my @blueyonder account would be retained indefinitely................

Sadly, I suspect that the VM support person may have been fibbing when they said that.

When they set up the new VM account they could have done a "move and transfer" with your Blueyonder address. That would have meant that you could have carried on using it, not indefinitely,  but for as long as you had a VM Broadband account.

The fact that you have a new virginmedia.com address to access you new VM account strongly suggests that they did not do that because AFAIK a move and transfer would not have required a new virginmedia.com address to be created.

If you sign in to your current VM "My Virgin Media" account with you virginmedia.com address from here  https://my.virginmedia.com/home/signIn do you see the blueyonder address listed there?

VM have been making some changes to My Virginmedia recently but, assuming yours is the same as mine, once you are fully signed in (you first need to click on "Continue") follow these steps:

• Click on "Account Settings"
  • Then click on Account details, which should take you to "My Profile"
  • Then click the "Manage Accounts" tab to see your secondary accounts.

If it is not listed there it may well have been deleted by VM as an "orphan" account, that is one that is not attached to a live VM Broadband account.

Also, you seem to suggest that you were able to continue accessing the Blueyonder email account via an email client for some time after you lost access to the webmail account.That is a common sign that a VM email account is in the process of being deleted. Therefore if that was the case it is further evidence that you Blueyonder address has been deleted.

It would be a good idea to send a test email to your Blueyonder address and see if you get an error message back. If you get a message saying "Email could not be delivered, Username does not exist" then it would seem your old email account has been deleted.

Prior to the Blueyonder address  being deleted it is possible for VM to carry out the move and transfer retrospectively. However, that would result in any new virginmedia addresses in your current VM account being deleted by your original Blueyonder address.

Unfortunately,  if the Blueyonder address has been deleted VM cannot recreate it.

Post back here to confirm:

1) whether your Blueyonder address is listed in your new My Virgin Media account

2) whether you get an error message back when you send a test email to that BY address.

All may not be lost and VM may be able to do something to help you...................but I am afraid it is definitely not looking good. ☹️

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi,

thanks for taking the time to try and help. I can confirm that

1. My @blueyonder email account is not bouncing emails. I've tried from two different email accounts I have and neither have been bounced.

2. The @blueyonder account is not in my list of secondary accounts and it never has been. I know this because I had to set up new accounts for my kids about a year ago and there were none then and it's not there now.

I wasted 15 minutes trying to find a way to contact VM support directly but the website seems geared towards avoiding helping you to do that lol.

Is there an actual way to speak to someone directly or at least raise some kind of support ticket?

neil-bottomley
Joining in

If you can no longer access your blueyonder email its probably just been deleted without warning like mine was.

The fact that this was still registered on VM's system as my main email account when I called them for technical support seems not to have mattered. To compound matters, their crappy email system isn't bouncing emails still sent to it so anyone contacting me for the past 4 days will be oblivious !!!

Not impressed AT ALL.

Thought i'd post this here as no doubt there'll be others having this happen to them too.

Hi Neil, sorry to hear of your issues regarding access to the email. 

Thank you to the community for their support so far. If you ever wish to contact us urgently you can do so on 0345 454 1111.

I just want to check you currently have an account with active service with us? (Please do not post any personal account information on the thread.) 

If the blue yonder email account is no longer attached to an active service account it may have become an orphaned account. Whilst orphaned accounts can remain active and working for some time, they are eventually closed as they are no longer attached to a parent account. If the email has been orphaned there is a chance it is not recoverable. 

When accessing the email until recently, were you doing this via our webmail service  or through a clientmail service (Eg, outlook, applemail, etc?)

All the best. 

Molly

I called technical support shortly after my last post. They confirmed my account was deleted.

The fact this was done without warning is an absolute disgrace. I have spent hours changing my email address for all of my online accounts, some being a nightmare to do because the system sent a confirmation email to my old, deleted address so I couldn't respond to them!!!

Hello @neil-bottomley,

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Once you have no active broadband account with us the email should of been deleted 90 days after you left us, but as this was not done this is why it has happened suddenly now, our system found a number of accounts with active emails on an non active broadband account and automatically locked & deleted them. This is included in the T&Cs that it should of been deleted 90 days after you left us also.

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Hayley_S wrote:

Hello @neil-bottomley,

I am sorry for the inconvenience caused.

Once you have no active broadband account with us the email should of been deleted 90 days after you left us,

Hi Hayley,

It is worth pointing that according to @neil-bottomley 's first post in this thread, he does still have a live VM account. It seems that his old original Blueyonder email address was not moved over to the new VM account which was created when he moved house.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Kath_F
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi coenoby, 

Thanks for taking the time to point this out. It looks like both Hayley and Molly may have missed this. 

@neil-bottomley - as you have an active broadband account with us, I am happy to see what we can do to try and get things resolved for you. If you're not getting any bounce backs mails when sending an email to the blueyonder address then there may still be something we can do to retrieve the address. 

I have sent you a private message regarding this. Just click on the little plum envelope at the top right-hand side of the page to access your inbox.
Thanks, 

Kath_F
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs