Menu
Highlighted
seank1967
Joining in
Message 1 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Cannot Send Email via WIFI

In the last 24 hours I have experienced an issue sending emails (from mobile devices) when connected to virginmedia email.  Message as follows:

" Cannot Send Mail   The username or password for " "************@virginmedia.com"  is incorrect "

ALL members of the family have the same issue.

No issue sending emails when WIFI disconnected, or when accessing email account via web browser.

Deleted account from iphone and added back, got an error message saying something about issue using SSL, so said no, and ensured the SMTP had the correct primary server and had the correct password and SSL switched ON.

Rebooted Superhub - No differnce  AND  Restored to Factory Settinngs - No difference

I can see various posts on the same subject, but have not seen a suitable solution (as yet)

PLEASE HELP!!!

0 Kudos
Sololobo
Community elder
Message 2 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Re: Cannot Send Email via WIFI

Have you read this "sticky" post?

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Ipad-Iphone-SMTP-why-deleting-and-recreating-an-account-D...

It should help with Apple/IOS devices.

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.
0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 3 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Also read this thread (it gets good at around message 7) - you should try checking your IP to see if it is blacklisted.

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Can-t-send-email-via-home-WiFi/m-p/4035676#M177118

Let us know how you get on, we'd like to help.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
seank1967
Joining in
Message 4 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello MissPasko,
I took your advice this morning, It says the Blacklisting has been lifted. But still have the same issue.
How long does it normally take to effect through Virgin Media Systems?
Any other advice?
Regards,
Sean

0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 5 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@seank1967 wrote:

Hello MissPasko,
I took your advice this morning, It says the Blacklisting has been lifted. But still have the same issue.
How long does it normally take to effect through Virgin Media Systems?
Any other advice?
Regards,
Sean

I am not an expert like ravenstar68; I am an archivist, good at spotting similar issues.  Message 12 in that thread I pointed you to suggests 12-24 hours for an updated list to be spread around.  But if you read carefully, you will learn that you have to take action to check your devices for malware to prevent recurrence.

Let us know if no improvement tomorrow, and what actions you have taken.  I'm sure a superuser or knowledgeable reader can give advice more specific to your situation.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
0 Kudos
seank1967
Joining in
Message 6 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello,
The same issue remains.
I have scanned / screened all local devices, and the IP was unblocked 27 hours ago.
I can't send email while connected to home wifi.
No issues when on other wifi, or without a wifi connection. No issue when accessing email via web browser.
ANY ADVICE?
0 Kudos
seank1967
Joining in
Message 7 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Does anybody else have any advice, because I'm now stuck?

Called Virgin Media and they couldn't help.

they did try to get the Gadget Help people to help but want to charge me to fix an issue which I believe is clearly a Virgin Media issue, so I'm not comfortable use that option at the moment.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 8 of 10
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

I don't normally ask for this - but are you able to drop me your public IP via PM?

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

seank1967
Joining in
Message 9 of 10
Flag for a moderator

Hello Ravenstar 68,
The issue appears to have resolved itself yesterday evening, without me doing anything.
So Good News :-) , but ultimately unsettling that there was no obvious Root Cause, meaning it may happen again :-(
0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 10 of 10
Flag for a moderator

@seank1967 

Thanks for that.  Checking your IP address shows it's back on the CSS - you really need to check out why.  If you are on the CSS it suggests that suspect mail has been received directly from your IP address, something that suggests you have malware on one or more computers on your network.

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

0 Kudos