Menu
Whatsisname
Dialled in
Message 11 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t send phishing mail

I have taken a snip of the last email's message source. Please flag this to forum moderator, the same problem occurs in not being able to send on as attachment. The black redacted lines are my own e address. The red redacted line contains an address I do not wish to post publicly at this juncture in case the person is not responsible in any way, I can send their address to a forum moderator in a private forum email if they so require.PhishingMail.jpgErrorMessage.JPG 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 12 of 23
Flag for a moderator

What happens if you try the following suggestion?

[source: Microsoft Answers — Can not send messages on Windows Live Mail]

¡Firedog

You have an undeliverable message in the outbox, which causes a logjam so subsequent messages can't get through, either. Click Work offline, then remove the offending message from the outbox.
0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 13 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒

Not sure if it's just me but I still cannot see the images in Whatisname's post so I could not offer any help.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Whatsisname
Dialled in
Message 14 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi iFiredog,  (Stick with your heart).

I have just tried working offline and going to outbox, there are no messages in view and the same occurs when I work online.

I have also tried breaking messages apart to no avail which, in part perhaps, might be a clue as to how the messages evade being sent.

Hi Coenobi,  I had the same problem just using the link from the "Reply in email". It showed up when I signed in. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 15 of 23
Flag for a moderator

This needs to be passed on to the email team managing the outbound servers @ModTeam can you have someone take a look.

My understanding was that Virgin Media was supposed to be applying whitelisting so mails sent with a rcpt to: address corresponding to a reporting address should bypass the outbound spam filters.  Yet this is not happening in cases such as the OP's

I will say what I have said before.  When your Spam filtering system is inconveniencing normal users, then no matter how successful you are at keeping your mail servers off of blacklists, you are still failing.

In short - outbound anti spam defences should be invisible to normal senders.

Tim.

P.S. - My humorous side wanted to start this post with something like - "I should hope you can't send phishing mails." 😉 lol

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Whatsisname
Dialled in
Message 16 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Ravenstar68, Tim

I am pleased to have attracted your reply. You mention about passing this on to the @ModTeam, of whom I believe you to be a member, will this be acted upon or do I need to make the approach? 

One way round your fear of my wanting to send phishing emails is for them only to be allowed in attachment (hopefully sandbagged) and as you say only to whitelisted reporting addresses. Might I also suggest that outgoing servers flag accounts that send junk, phishing etc to other than reporting addresses and hence have a warning that their account could be revoked if the behaviour persists. I do realise that some organisations might find this an onerous task unless of course it was computerised with safeguards. The particular email I captured is of quite a low sophistication, if the person whose email I have redacted in red is found to be the perp then perhaps a good dose of DOS overload could be applied to disuade just this one in a million. I believe policing the internet is as important to every person as is walking down our streets and not ignoring crime. I will more than hope I can't send phishing emails.

Regards.

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 17 of 23
Flag for a moderator

I'm not a Virgin Media employee - although the Superuser program is endorsed by them (which is why we get to put the Virgin logo in our signatures), we are for the most part VM users like yourself.   I've already flagged this so the best thing to do is sit tight til one of the Forum Team get here. @Jen_A - If you could take a look.

Bear in mind that the Forum is going through a transition at present as Swansea is closing down next year, and many staff are either having to move or take redundancy.  However they do still try and get to posts ASAP.

Tim

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Whatsisname
Dialled in
Message 18 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Generaly speaking Phishing.org was another reporting address that gave me the same trouble as NFIB. Particularly there is a plethora of business reporting addresses that likewise might best be contacted, the few that I have tried to report to have, in the past, also been denied. Meanwhile I sit tight and look forward to hearing from Jen A or another of the Team, I hope the geographic transition is not personally upsetting nor weakening their affectiveness.

PS I forgot to say the email in snip was 5KB, from hovering cursor over box emails column list.

0 Kudos
Forum Team (Retired) Jen_A
Forum Team (Retired)
Message 19 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Whatsisname,

I'll be happy to look into this for you - a couple of questions first:

1. Are you sending via client (the whitelist is applicable to our SMTP relays)?
  2. Which phishing domains are you unable to forward to?

Regards,

Jen
Forum Team

Whatsisname
Dialled in
Message 20 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Hi Jen,

Thank you for getting back, in answer to your questions;       

1.    I am a VM customer, outgoing mail is  smtp.blueyonder.co.uk Does that answer if I send via client?

2.    Primarily antiphishing.org and city-of-london.pnn.police.uk However there are numerous banking institutions I would rather not list publicly but I am                willing to pass their addresses on to you privately if VM hasn't got a full list, I don't wish to give a lead on an open forum as to those I use.

I don't know if the problem is resolved but I managed to send a phishing emails on this morning to the two primary sites, when I next receive phishers I will retry from anew and let you know.

Regards to your good work 

0 Kudos