Menu
Whatsisname
Dialled in
Message 1 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Can’t send phishing mail

Quite often I try to send a malware or phishing email to police NFIB or phishing.com and the email will not go even if the whole mail is sent as an attachment. The server said the email is too large and sometimes crashes the server connection. I believe this to be some form of malware within the message causing this. Any ideas how to overcome this problem please.

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 2 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t send phishing mail

Yes stop sending it - the police don't have time to deal with Phishing, they don't have resources to stop people being stabbed **bleep**! - what makes you think they will care about phishing when they can't even bother to come out for burglaries due to no resources?

Also why would a phishing website take phishing attachments? Just send it without the attachment as they will just blacklist the domain anyway

Edit: this is a serious post from someone who has to deal with 900% workload and 1 person 6 days a week! - please don't add to it with some e-mail about phishing!

Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 3 of 23
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

ActionFraud — Report a phishing attempt states…

2018-12-02.jpeg
If you cannot forward the phishing email to NFIBPhishing@city-of-london.pnn.police.uk post back here to have the issue flagged to the forum moderators.

What size (MB / GB) is the received phishing email that is too large to send?

0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 4 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@Whatsisname wrote:

Quite often I try to send a malware .........

I would add two comments to 用心棒's advice regarding emails or attachments containing malware.

1) In my opinion the best thing to do with any attachments containing malware is to simply delete them.

The reason I say that is the many online security organisations do not rely on members of the public to send them examples of of malware.  You can bet your life that by the time we get see an example the professionals will already be well aware of it. Forwarding such documents around just adds to the risk.

2) Regarding phishing emails, my advice is that it is always better to forward them to the organisation that they purport to come from. They have a vested interested in taking action.

Just do an online search for 'Reporting scam xxxxx emails' putting the company's name instead of xxxxx.

Don't get hung up on reporting them though because again, by the time you get one the relevant company almost certainly knows about it as well Smiley Wink

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer
0 Kudos
Whatsisname
Dialled in
Message 5 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Thank you  Superuser for your positive reply. I am sorry that some of the posts are negative about keeping intelligence organisations who deal with cyber thugs updated with these types of emails, how do they get to hear of them if everybody thinks they should’nt be bothered. Being overworked is no excuse to do nothing! In fact if you look at the NFIB snip it says what I believe.

So when I next come across one of these problem emails I’ll send a snip of the properties>details>message source to this thread. 

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Before this gets unreasonable, let us look at what is going on here. Virgin media are introducing much, much stricter spam control measures which apply to be both incoming and outgoing mail which looks spammy or is spam. Now they don't always get it right (as you will see from an examination of many of the posts on this Board), but their good intentions cannot be faulted in terms of protecting their customers from this serious and increasing menace. I'd rather it be this way than allowing rubbish through and/or exposing their outgoing servers to blacklisting because of spam. That would cause chaos (as we have seen in the past).

So all this is about is trying to battle VM's outgoing spam checks. A one man crusade is, in principle, no bad thing. It demonstrates proper concern for others users safety too and the internet community more widely. But you have to ask yourself whether battling the outgoing servers is worth expending time and energy when you know that others are reporting these issues to good effect.

Now there are work a-rounds if you want to explore them. You can use an e-mail client rather than just forward it through web mail to report the spam and zip the enclosure to prevent it being scanned, for example.

The Forum Team will respond in the near future and may ask you for the addresses you are using to report spam. VM have already whitelisted many of them to allow reporting to take place. They have certainly whitelisted the NFIB address (I am sure recall seeing this). 

It is all a question of balance. I think VM have largely got it right. Disagree if you like. 

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

Whatsisname
Dialled in
Message 7 of 23
Flag for a moderator

Could’not agree more with you that VM is, like most, doing the right thing and a good job. How is it that I receive them but cannot send them back to the server, I realise the incoming and outgoing servers are separate but they both belong to the same provider
0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 8 of 23
Flag for a moderator

HowardML's recall of the NFIB address already being whitelisted brings matters back to the question of how large is the incoming phishing email?

FYI, maximum incoming message size (including attachments) is 25 MB and a similarly limit applies to an outgoing message unless an email client (like Thunderbird) is used when it is increased to 35 MB; read more here: Adding attachments in Virgin Media Mail

0 Kudos
happywithmy350
Well-informed
Message 9 of 23
Flag for a moderator

No one gets sent GB's in any e-mail as no sever can handle it - usually just a link?
0 Kudos
coenoby
Knows their stuff
Message 10 of 23
Flag for a moderator

@用心棒 wrote:

HowardML's recall of the NFIB address already being whitelisted brings matters back to the question of how large is the incoming phishing email?

This may be the thread that Howard is recalling https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Forwarding-phishing-emails/m-p/3758911 and message 8 from Jen specifically says that the NFIB phishing website is whitelisted.

It was a very similar thread to this one but there does not seem to have been a definite resolution. Jen may have more information on that.

Coenoby

I am just another Virgin Media customer.
If someone posts a useful reply you can say thanks by clicking on the thumbs up sign in their post.
If someone posts a message that solves your problem it helps everyone if you mark their post as a Helpful Answer