cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send outgoing emails

ketch01
Tuning in

Hi,
I can't logon to the virgin media SMTP server to send emails. I have checked all settings are they have not changed.
I entered my IP on Spamhaus and it returned that my IP was on the PBL and to check SMTP Authentication is working ok.

As everything looks ok at my end, how to I check SMTP Authentication working correctly on the email server?

14 REPLIES 14

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Sign into My Virgin Media > My Profile, select Change ▸ (located next to Password, enter your current password and then Update when done. If this does not resolve the issue then it would be helpful to see what, if any, VM error code is returned by the SMTP server in this situation. Open a Command Shell or Terminal window and enter the following where username:password is replaced with your email address and password, i.e. richard.branson@virginmedia.com:Y54kpX5g:

curl -v smtps://smtp.virginmedia.com -u username:password 2>&1 | (where findstr && (findstr  "235 VM") || (grep "235\\|VM")) 

Post the redacted results here.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Thanks for your post and welcome to the Community Forums, ketch01,

Sorry to hear that you have been having issues with your email service and log in. Have you been able to update the log in details as recommended by @用心棒

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers,

Corey C

Hi The user name I use to logon to the virginmedia smtp server from my outlook 2013 client is not listed. 
the script does not return a response

@ketch01 quick, but important question, are you still a VM broadband customer? If so have you had a break in service or moved address since you first created the email account? 

hi

yes, im still a broadband customer 8 years, the only change recently is an upgrade to the fibre router but email has been working ok since it was installed.

no problems with the pop 3 receiving email

Thanks for your reply, ketch01, are you able to log into the webmail account and send from there? 

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Corey_C wrote:

Thanks for your reply, ketch01, are you able to log into the webmail account and send from there? 

@ketch01   The webmail page can be found here:

https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi
I don't have a virgin webmail account set up.

I am able to login to my webmail account  associated with my incoming mail server "webmail.eclipse.co.uk" and send from there.

It is only when I try to use the virgin smtp server to send that I can't connect. 

I have used this setup in Outlook 2013 for as long as I have been with Virgin (8 years) It stopped at 07:30 this morning (no changes made)

ketch01_0-1628704423216.png

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Your screen shot cannot be shown as it contains personal information.

If you have a Virgin media email address then it will have webmail access by default.

Your latest post suggests that you are trying to send emails from a third party email address via the Virgin media SMTP servers. This may well be the route of your current issue.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks