cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t send emails

Shack1
Joining in

Hi All

i have been having issues trying to send emails.  Incoming emails are fine, just outgoing. 

I have reset passwords and it’s comes back with an error message ‘cannot send email’ email or password incorrect.

I have looked at the outgoing server and mine is 587 whereas my partners is 465.  Could this be the problem! I don’t know how to change it though as I’ve tried adding server and doesn’t work. 

please help.  This is my only email.  I am currently looking for work so desperately need it to be up and running!

Thanks 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Shack1 wrote:

I have looked at the outgoing server and mine is 587 whereas my partners is 465.  Could this be the problem! I don’t know how to change it though as I’ve tried adding server and doesn’t work.

It's probably not the cause of the problem but VM have been recommending everyone to use the 465 server for many years so you do need to update it. Exactly how you do that depends on which email app or client you are using to manage your emails. Which one are you using and on what device (mobile phone, laptop etc.)?

To troubleshoot your sending issue, try signing into your VM email account on the website. You can do that from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  

Putting it simply, if you can send from the website then the problem is with your app and that raises a new set of questions.

If you cannot send  from the website then the problem is with your VM email account itself and it can only be resolved by VM.

Post back here with how that test goes.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

8 REPLIES 8

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Shack1 wrote:

It's probably not the cause of the problem but VM have been recommending everyone to use the 465 server for many years so you do need to update it. Exactly how you do that depends on which email app or client you are using to manage your emails. Which one are you using and on what device (mobile phone, laptop etc.)?

To troubleshoot your sending issue, try signing into your VM email account on the website. You can do that from here https://mail2.virginmedia.com/  

Putting it simply, if you can send from the website then the problem is with your app and that raises a new set of questions.

If you cannot send  from the website then the problem is with your VM email account itself and it can only be resolved by VM.

Post back here with how that test goes.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Thanks for your reply.

I have been logging on using my iPhone using the Mail app.

I have also since tried sending from the website and still won’t send outgoing Mail. Comes up with an error message saying account is locked!

I have raised the issue with VM and have been told this issue could take up to 5 days to be sorted.  Not very happy! 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Shack1 wrote:

I have been logging on using my iPhone using the Mail app.

I have also since tried sending from the website and still won’t send outgoing Mail. Comes up with an error message saying account is locked!

Thanks for coming back with that info, so yes, it's a VM problem.

I have raised the issue with VM and have been told this issue could take up to 5 days to be sorted. 

That's all you can do I'm afraid. There is no way round the problem till VM fix your account.

The thing is the VM email service that comes as part of the VM Broadband package is a very basic email service and experience suggests it is not high on VM's list of priorities.  It also has the disadvantage that if you decide to switch broadband provider then you will lose access to your VM email accounts after 90 days. It's part of VM broadband Terms and Conditions,

I have been with VM and their predecessors for years and have always been happy with their broadband an TV services. However, I have never used their email service except for communication with them.

I would advise that you at least consider moving over to a dedicated email provider, Gmail and Outlook.com are the market leaders but you could also consider Apple's iCloud service - see https://www.lifewire.com/icloud-mail-review 

All those services are free and you will find them to be more reliable, better supported and more secure than VM email but of course it's up to you.

Coenoby

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

Are you and your partner using different email accounts under the same Virginmedia account?  If so, one will be the main account and the other a secondary account. Can your partner log into the Virginmedia account and check the status of both email accounts?

coenoby is absolutely right about the VM email service.  You can do far better and with fewer problems elsewhere.

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

yes we have a main VM account and then each member of the family have an email set up from that account.

I can’t see where you can see the status though! The only option we have is to change/delete the emails.

very frustrating as I am currently looking for work and this is my only email account I have set up which is linked to all the job sites I use 😡

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

I was suggesting you confirmed that the emails were still both valid and linked to the VM account.  That gives some confidence that they haven't been closed.

I really hope you can get this sorted. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

Oh yes sorry everything looks normal so I really don’t know what has happened.

Thanks. I hope it gets sorted soon

Zoie_P
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Shack1, 

Thank you for your post 🙂 

I am so sorry to hear you are having issues with your email, I can see from our systems you have been in touch with our team did they advise if they unlocked your account or if an IT ticket is raised.

Zoie