cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t send emails

Forcewielder
Joining in

Does anybody know why I can receive but NOT send Blueyonder emails from my iPhone or iPad when I’m connected to a different router than my own or when I’m using the mast cell signal?

I can only send when I’m connected to my virgin media router at home. All other times I get a username or password incorrect message - which itself is not correct. 

23 REPLIES 23

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

The most likely cause is using out of date settings without sending authentication set up.

On you home account the IP address is used with the old blueyonder settings to check that you are sending from a VM account.  This won't work when away from home.

The recommended settings can be found here:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438/jump-to/first-unread-m...

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hayley_S
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hello @Forcewielder.

Welcome back to the community page, thank you for posting on here.

I am sorry to see that you are unable to send emails.

Please can you use the advice given by @Graham_A and let us know how it goes?

Many thanks,

Hayley
Forum Team

New around here? To find out more about the Community check out our Getting Started guide

Hi

The settings for the outgoing server as set out in @Graham_A’s advice are as they are on my phone (the only difference is that Authentication on my phone is set at “password” which according to the advice only applies to a Mac). If I turn WiFi off on my phone so I’m relying on the mast cell signal rather than my router I still can’t send emails from my blueyonder account. I have no issues with other accounts.

The port is different from the advice for the incoming mail server on my iPhone but since I can receive emails when not connected to my home router I don’t plan to change it. 

I can’t test what happens on my iPad since I’m at home, it’s not cellular, and I am able to send emails when I’m connected to my home router. 

So what is the solution now?

Hi @Forcewielder,

Thank you for giving that advice a try to see if it helps at all.

Can you access the email service via our webmail platform and confirm if the issue remains the same there as it does on your mobile device?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Forcewielder  Can you confirm that your SMTP server is set to smtp.virginmedia.com rather than smtp.blueyonder.co.uk?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi folks, thanks for your responses. 

Zach - I can send emails successfully from my web-based blueyonder email account. 

Graham - I can confirm that the smtp server on the phone is smtp.virginmedia.com. There are 2 other outgoing servers listed, both labelled as smtp.blueyonder.co.uk. I’ve tried using them but still get the same “username or password incorrect” message when trying to send when connected to the cell rather than the router. 

Allan

Really sorry for the delays in getting back to you Forcewielder, has this been resolved since your last post at all?

Rob

Hi Rob. No problem but I’m afraid not. I’ve just taken my phone off the router and tried to send an email via the cell but still got user name or password incorrect. Can there be an issue with the way my Apple devices are set up at Virgin?

Hi Forcewielder,

Sorry to hear you're still having issues with your emails. 

Can you please reset your email account password, remove and then re add your email account from your Apple devices and sign in again with the new password? Hopefully that should do the trick.

Thanks

Beth

Beth