cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't send emails with attachments - error know-smtprelay-8-imp cmsmtp ESMTP server ready

buckhouse
On our wavelength

Unable to send emails with attachments.  Checked settings and all correct.  Have tried sending small attachments but still get this error.  I have to go to my Hotmail email (which I don't use) to send my emails with attachments.  Why is this happening in Virgin?

23 REPLIES 23

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus

I'm hardly surprised that you can do that.. The outgoing servers for webmail are entirely different and separate from the outgoing servers used by VM for mail sent through mail programs. The first are in The Netherlands and the second are in Knowsley. At least that tells us something that I was going on to ask to do the diagnostics.

I still want to see the full error message as it is delivered to your PC/laptop. Not paraphrased. There is additional information in it that I need.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

My apologies @HowardML  I understood this.  I just wanted to know if customer tried to, whether or not could do so.  This has now been clarified and I genuinely am sorry.

Regards

Lee

This is what I get:  buckhouse_0-1620649014324.png    I then click continue and get this 

buckhouse_1-1620649276028.png

The email goes into the Outbox but remains there and I get this message at the bottom left of my screen 

buckhouse_2-1620649434818.png That is all the message I get.  

In the past hour 2 messages that were sitting in my Outbox were sent.  I then tried sending another email with an attachment but I didn't receive an error message but the email hasn't been sent - still in my Outbox.

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Thank you - at last. I'll come back with some thoughts shortly. This isn't what I expected to see and I might need some advice from another VIP who I think is around today. But I do have some immediate advice which I will post shortly.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Thank you.

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Immediate thought. I need you to check that your outgoing SMTP server settings accord with the latest settings recommended by VM. What puzzles me is that you can send without attachments. You only get this error when trying to send to send attachments, but you are seeing some emails with attachments sending after a time. Anyway please check that you are using these settings. They are the same for any email program you use (both SMTP and IMAP/POP):

https://www.virginmedia.com/help/virgin-media-configure-email-settings

Yes - I had previously checked and have just checked again.  My settings and  ports are correct for imap. 

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
And SMTP - that's what matters here. Tell me what they are please.

incoming server: imap.virginmedia.com - Port 993 - use SSL to connect. Outgoing server: smtp.virginmedia.com - Port 465 - use SSL to connect.

HowardML
Superuser Emeritus
Superuser Emeritus
Thank you once again. You obviously know your way around your mail software. That's good to know. I know when I have reached the limits of my tech knowledge so I have asked for further advice from one of our other VIPs and we'll see what he has to say. The error messages are about the nature of the connection from you to the SMTP server.