Menu
BusyG
Tuning in
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can't send email

I've not been able to send emails for 24 hours but am receiving fine. I have explored various sources for help on virginmedia. I have changed and updated my password (though within the last 24 hours). I have checked autoforward as they suggest and there is nothing there.

Another post on this forum suggests a spam problem but I've not received an email alert from VM. I am on an android phone so am unclear on how to check whether my IP has been hyjacked as the thread was for PC. I have received a lot of spam over last couple of months (mostly pretending to be from Norton/McAffee).

Any help appreciated. Doesn't seem to be any contact info for VM for email problems.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't send email

Are you sending over Wifi or 4G?

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos
BusyG
Tuning in
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Wifi

0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi BusyG,

Thank you for reaching out to us in our community, I am sorry to hear you haven't been able to send emails, I will be more than happy to help if you are still facing the same issue.

So I can help further I will send you an invite into a private chat, please click on the purple envelope to accept.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
BusyG
Tuning in
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

I sorted it. It was an issue with the IP address - it had been listed by several lists according to spamhaus. Stayed off wifi for a day and was assigned new IP address by hub when I rejoined (a fix suggested in another Internet forum). I've run a virus scan and changed passwords incase I'd been hacked. All OK for now.

Thanks

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
Paul_DN
Forum Team
Forum Team
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Hi BusyG,

Thanks for coming back to me, glad to hear you have now resolved this, if you need any further help please let us know.

Regards

Paul.

0 Kudos
ravenstar68
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@BusyG wrote:

I sorted it. It was an issue with the IP address - it had been listed by several lists according to spamhaus. Stayed off wifi for a day and was assigned new IP address by hub when I rejoined (a fix suggested in another Internet forum). I've run a virus scan and changed passwords incase I'd been hacked. All OK for now.

Thanks

It's never an issue with the IP address itself.  It's an issue with devices using that IP address.  Unless that is it's a policy blacklist like the PBL - But such lists don't interfere with you sending mail.

The one blacklist that does matter to VM is the CSS (Composite Snowshoe Spam) blacklist.  If your public IP is listed on that list then it means that spam has been seen coming from one of the devices on your network.  This happens when a device has had a proxy added to it.  Typical devices we've seen affected are:

• PC's running Hola Free VPN - (If you ever use this, my recommendation is to remove it).
  • Amazon Firesticks with non standard software added.
  • Kodi Boxes.
  • Android mobiles.
  • (Possibly) a Smart TV

When you said you stayed off Wifi for a day.  I assume that you switched the hub off.  If not then unless there was a network resegmentation in the your area, the chances are your public IP changing is slim to none.  However keeping devices off Wifi for a day or so would be enough for the IP address to drop off the blacklist anyway.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

0 Kudos