cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t send email - server rejected email address

GeoffLove
On our wavelength

I am currently abroad and am intermittently having problems sending emails. It was fine for a couple of days then problems started.  
I’m using an iPhone and iPad and am receiving emails without problem,  a few days ago I tried to send an email and got the message “cannot send mail. The server rejected one of the recipients addresses.”  
I was at the time using the hotel Wi-Fi. I switched to my esim on my phone and it sent ok.  Later that day it stopped sending via the esim connection too.  (There is definitely nothing wrong with the email address I’m trying to send to, I was also testing trying to send to my own address).
I tried deleting the SMTP settings and re entering the same again and it started working again,  a day letter it stopped.

Today I’ve had another hour trying to get it to work. Deleted settings, re entered, they verified.  Still wouldn’t work from phone on Wi-Fi or esim.  At this time email WAS working from my iPad connected to my esim hotspot. Randomly and hour later after I’d given up it started working from my phone again.

I have had this problem before when I’ve been abroad. I’m assuming it’s a Virgin security issue with blocking foreign use or something but I don’t know for sure.  It’s a real pain when I need to respond to client enquiries etc. Can Virgin sort it for me or is there another fix?

8 REPLIES 8

GeoffLove
On our wavelength

Having had the problem go away for a few hours it’s now randomly returned.  Can’t send again, exactly the same problem. Nothing was charged from when it was working fine. Asaaaaggggh! 

I should also mention I can send to same addresses fine using webmail. 

Hi GeoffLove,

Thanks for posting and sorry to hear you've been having some issues sending emails. 

So I can take a closer look at your account I've popped you over a private message (purple envelope, top right hand corner)

Alex_Rm

Megan_L
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi GeoffLove, 

Thanks for chatting with me and Alex within our PM's, I am sorry that there is not much we can do to resolve this issue as you are abroad at the moment and it is triggering a spam block on your email whenever you try to send multiple emails at once. 

If this issue persists when you get back home to the UK we will gladly look into this further, for now though I have a helpful link here about sending emails which may help for the time being 👉 Sending Emails

Please keep us posted on how you get on when you get back to the UK. 

Thanks,

Megan_L

GeoffLove
On our wavelength

Thanks for the assistance.  

I have to say I’m disappointed with the outcome. Reading between the lines, the system is basically set such that a person is blocked from sending more than 2 to 3 emails in a 24 hour period when using smtp abroad. I understand the need for security and to prevent spamming but this seems excessive and difficult for many to work within. 

it’s also caused me a lot of time spent trying to solve a ‘problem’ which I thought was at my end. Also being advised by staff to repeatedly delete and re-enter server settings when clearly this was the issue all along  

Why does Virgin not clearly publish simple information along the lines of ‘if you use smtp to send email from abroad you will only be allowed to send 2 emails per day’ ?

it would save a great deal of hassle for people  

jpeg1
Alessandro Volta

You'd be well advised to start migrating your email to another, non ISP, provider.

As you and many others are finding, VM email is not the most reliable. They have also stopped issuing new email addresses. It does look like they are on the way to closing email altogether. 

- jpeg1
My name is NOT Alessandro. That's just a tag Virginmedia sticks on some contributors. Please ignore it.

GeoffLove
On our wavelength

Yes I’m seeing that. Haven’t  been able to face of thought of changing after about 20 odd years but I think it’s coming! 

Hi GeoffLove,

We can apprecaite your frustrations here and we are sorry that there's nothing further we can do until you do return to the UK. However please don't hesitate to let us know once you've returned as we'll be more than happy to assist you further.

Kind regards

Beth