Menu
Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 1 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Can't send blueyonder email (via mobile data only)

Evening all 😀

This seems to be the day of email problems eh?

I really hope someone can help with this, but I can send and receive my blueyonder email fine via webmail and on my Mac... the problem is with sending email only via my phone (Android on EE network) using mobile data. If I switch to WiFi there's no problem sending at all.

I've tried validating my server settings and get the

Can't connect to server (525 5.7.13 Authentication Denied (VM305))

message. When I do the same over WiFi on there's no problem at all.

I've checked the phone with Kaspersky and Malwarebytes, but both results are clear.

Checked Spamhaus and my home IP is on the PBL.

I've tried to follow what's being said on the other threads, but I'm just flummoxed by it all. Could anyone that's more tech minded give any advice please?

Thanks 👍

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't send blueyonder email (via mobile data only)

This is an odd one as it doesn't seem to fit the pattern for VM305 errors.

Your home IP being on the PBL list is to be expected and of no consequence to a domestic user.

The error message implies that the IP address you are sending from is on the Spamhaus Sbl list, how that occurs when using a mobile data connection could be down to others using the same mobile connection having infected devices.

Other community members may be able to expand on this.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Highlighted
Tuning in
Message 3 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Thanks for the reply Graham_A.

Much appreciated.

Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 5
Flag for a moderator

@Graham_A wrote:

This is an odd one as it doesn't seem to fit the pattern for VM305 errors.

Your home IP being on the PBL list is to be expected and of no consequence to a domestic user.

The error message implies that the IP address you are sending from is on the Spamhaus Sbl list, how that occurs when using a mobile data connection could be down to others using the same mobile connection having infected devices.

Other community members may be able to expand on this.

Hi Graham

You might be surprised to find that I'm actually surprised this hasn't happened before now.

Remember mobile networks use CGNAT - so one public IP address is shared by quite a few individuals in the same area.  Thus one device that's infected  can block multiple innocent users.

This is why, although this has lead to us finding infected devices on a few home networks.  I am concerned about Virgin Media and BT using the CSS in this way.

Tim

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media. Learn more

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 5 of 5
Flag for a moderator

Hi Tim,

Actually not surprised at all.  I was just being cautious in case I had got hold of the wrong end of the stick.  Comforting to be on the right track, but sadly no comfort for the op.

In this case the policy could well be affecting a total innocent inconvenienced by a third party infected with a spambot.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Learn more