cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can’t reset virgin.net password

Cycling7477
Joining in

Good morning

My elderly Mother in law has forgotten her password to her virgin.net account I have tried to reset it for her but her maiden name and DOB doesn’t recognise her. Her account is about 15-20 years old so when we go to the next page to answer other questions it asks for an account number but she doesn’t have these details either. I am trying to support her remotely so any help would be much appreciated.

she can access her emails via an old laptop so could request a new password but don’t know where to send the request

Thanks

4 REPLIES 4

Akua_A
Forum Team
Forum Team

Hi @Cycling7477,

Welcome to our community forums and thank you for your first post.

Sorry to hear your mother has been unable to reset her virgin.net We can understand the inconvenience caused and want to best help. Just to confirm is she looking to reset her virgin email password or her my VM password? Has she also tried calling our team on 0345 454 1111 regarding this? If so what was discussed?  She may also find the following useful https://www.virginmedia.com/help/billing-and-payments/login-problems

Thanks,

Akua_A
Forum Team

New around here? Check out the do's and don'ts, in our Community FAQs

Hi

thanks for replying, it is her virgin email account she can’t get into 

thanks

Elaine 

coenoby
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Cycling7477 wrote:

Her (email) account is about 15-20 years old so when we go to the next page to answer other questions it asks for an account number but she doesn’t have these details either. 

So,does your Mother in Law have a Virgin Media Broadband account?  The fact that she does not have her account number suggests not.

The problem is that in order to keep using any of the VM email domains, including Virgin.net the email account needs to be linked to a live VM broadband account.

However, it is possible that she never had one. Virgin.net addresses were associated with the old Virgin.net ADSL (non cable) broadband service or their original dial up internet service both of which disappeared many years ago. Any email accounts associated with those services that did not get linked to a VM broadband account should have been deleted by VM soon afterwards.  However, as you have found, VM seem to have let many of them to continue for years.

Now it seems that when VM come across an email account that is not linked to a current broadband account they delete it with out giving any warning. Therefore even if you can regain access to the email account you and your Mother in Law need to regard it as just a short temporary reprieve because it could disappear at any time,

If your Mother is no longer a paying VM customer then VM staff are pretty limited in what they can do for her so, unfortunately, if you cannot answer the security questions you are pretty much at the end of the road .

One trick you could try is to try resetting the password again but this time type her maiden name in UPPER CASE. That used to work a while ago so you could try that now.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but there have been many posts on the forum from people with the same issue .

One of the Forum Team (VM employees who support this forum) will pick up your post again in the next few days. However,  as I said, if your Mother in Law is not a VM customer they will be very limited in what they can do for her.😞

Sorry I cannot be more helpful or positive.

Coenoby

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media.

Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Hi @Cycling7477,

Thank you for expanding. As @coenoby has explained in their post, if the email account in question is not linked up to an active broadband account then it's very likely that the account is locked and deleted. This typically happens within 90 days as per our Terms & Conditions, but in some cases it takes longer.

Do you happen to know if it's linked to an active broadband account? Does your Mother-in-Law have any Virgin Media services currently?

Thanks,

Zach - Forum Team
New around here? To find out more about the Community Forums, take a look at our FAQs!