Menu
CathR
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Can't connect to email server from Huawei P Smart

Hi

I've got a new Huawei P Smart phone with EE.  Try as I might I can't connect to the VM servers to download my emails.  

I'm using POP .  I'm sure I'm using the correct settings: Receiving pop3.virginmedia.com, port 995 and sending smtp.virginmedia.com port 465 but no joy.

I've got an old @virgin.net email address - is that the problem? But it works perfectly on my main computer through Outlook.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 2 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Re: Can't connect to email server from Huawei P Smart

Those settings are correct but my bet is that you don't have authentication or your username set properly. Read this advice on the whole set of settings required:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Email-settings-change/td-p/3369438

Also are you seeing any error messages? What are they?

All of this assumes you have alive paid for VM broadband account to which your e-mail is linked.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Click to learn more about VIP

Use Kudos to say thanks

Mark as Helpful Answer if I've helped

CathR
On our wavelength
Message 3 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks HowardML.  I've read the advice but I'm not sure I get it.  Does it mean I've got to change my email address from @virgin.net to @virginmedia.com.  I don't want to do that.

Not seeing any error messages as such, just "can't connect to the server at this time".  this has been going on for days, so something not right.

I've been a VM broadband customer for donkeys years..... They take the money each month via direct debit.

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 4 of 7
Flag for a moderator

@CathR wrote:

Thanks HowardML.  I've read the advice but I'm not sure I get it.  Does it mean I've got to change my email address from @virgin.net to @virginmedia.com.  I don't want to do that.

Not seeing any error messages as such, just "can't connect to the server at this time".  this has been going on for days, so something not right.

I've been a VM broadband customer for donkeys years..... They take the money each month via direct debit.

No need to change your email address just make sure that you use the full email address in the username fields eg fulladdress@virgin.net.  Including the @virgin.net is necessary for full authentication to take place.

Edit to add:  It is worth also checking that you can log into webmail with the username/password combination that you are trying to set up on the phone.

As a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share my knowledge. I don't work for Virgin Media.

Use Kudos to say thanks

CathR
On our wavelength
Message 5 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham_A.  Yes I can access my webmail with my username/password from my new phone.  It's just so much easier if the emails come to me, so to speak!

0 Kudos
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person
Message 6 of 7
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@CathR wrote:

Thanks Graham_A.  Yes I can access my webmail with my username/password from my new phone.  It's just so much easier if the emails come to me, so to speak!

I understand you and agree, webmail via a phone is not a comfortable experience.  I just suggested it so as to rule out possible issues with the username/password combination.

Come back and tell us how you get on with setting up the phone.  Howard or I or one of the other community members will try our best to help.

Use Kudos to say thanks

CathR
On our wavelength
Message 7 of 7
Flag for a moderator

Thanks Graham

I still can't seem to connect to the server, but lo and behold messages have started to appear in my email inbox, so super happy.

Many thanks to you and Howard for all your help!

0 Kudos