cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add account to outlook

NickyK
Tuning in

I had my NTLworld account synced to outlook on my laptop.  All was working well until this afternoon when it stopped sending my messages.

I tried all the turning off/on and logging in and out and now deleted the account from outlook.

When i try and add it back on it does not recognise the account.  I thought it was an outlook issue, but microsoft were great and remotely tried to do it and they got an error message to contact administrator.  I have no idea how to contact an administrator as on the VM contact section I can't find email help!

Any advice, anything I can do or I will I wake up tomorrow and all will be well?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

用心棒
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Go to https://netreport.virginmedia.com/netreport/ and:

• select an abuse type of Email Sending Errors from drop down list
  • select an abuse form of Other from drop down list
  • paste the complete error message into the Log Evidence area
  • enter your name into My name field
  • enter your email address into Email address field
  • select Submit button

Hopefully de-listing will occur sooner rather than later but if not post back here to have the issue flagged to the forum team.

Also consider following the advice here My Virgin Media account has been hacked.

See where this Helpful Answer was posted

52 REPLIES 52

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

What error message, if any do you see when you try to log into the email account directly via the VM Mail webmail page?  https://mail2.virginmedia.com/

If you get a 'mailbox unavailable at the moment' message try following the procedures set out here:

Email accounts locked, mailbox unable, unable to a... - Virgin Media Community - 4808847

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

No error message at all.  Webmail is working fine.  It will not talk back to outlook.  Before i removed the NTL account from outlook in frustration, i was able to receive, but not send mails.  I didn't capture the message unfortunately.

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

Webmail working is a good sign as it means that you haven't been locked out of the email account.

There is a help page here where you can check the settings needed for email clients:

virgin-media-mail-how-to-use-email-with-mail-clients 

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

Unfortunately, this hasn't helped.  The how to use guide is not accurate for the version of outlook I am using - the boxes are different and the options are different - more restricted.  It seems to be automating everything.

Its windows 365

Use advanced setup to add a POP or IMAP email account in Outlook for Windows

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/add-an-email-account-to-outlook-6e27792a-9267-4aa4-8bb6-c...

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

goslow
Alessandro Volta

@NickyK wrote:

Unfortunately, this hasn't helped.  The how to use guide is not accurate for the version of outlook I am using - the boxes are different and the options are different - more restricted.  It seems to be automating everything.

Can you access the account through 'Control Panel' and the 'Mail' icon. This should allow you to call up the older-style interface for managing email accounts and settings, rather than the automated 'wizard' screens.

mail.JPG

I tried this and this what I got...

NickyK_0-1642683986800.png

while they are checking the image the message says:

Some errors offced while processing the tests.  Review the list of errors below for more details, if the problem persists after taking the suggested actions, contact your internet service provider

errors

Log onto incoming mail server (IMAP): The connection to the server failed.

Send test email message: Outlook cannot connect to your outgoing (SMTP) email server. If you continue to receive this message, contact your server administrator or Internet service provider (ISP).

I'm not massively technical so I am stumped on this.  How do i contact VM? I have been on whatsapp with them for 24 hours about an non-tech question so not very hopeful!