cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't add VM email accounts to Outlook on PC (Windows 10)

Garry-O
Tuning in

I have recently had a computer issue which resulted in making a clean install of Windows 10.  This, obviously, wiped everything from my computer, most of which I have managed to re-instate.

Unfortunately, accessing my VM emails (ntlworld addresses) through the Outlook app on my PC, is proving a little difficult.  I can access both addresses without any problem on webmail and VM help confirms that everything is OK their end, but Outlook doesn't recognise the setup.  They tell me that there is nothing they can do to help.

For both addresses, I get the same error.  This comes up whether I use the automated process or opt to enter the details manually.

I have a screenshot of the error message:

GarryO_0-1651492328985.png

Can anyone help me sort this out, please?

11 REPLIES 11

Kain_W
Forum Team (Retired)
Forum Team (Retired)

Hi Garry-O,

Thanks for posting and welcome back to the community.

I can't see the screenshot unfortunately, can I ask whether you've faced any issues with other clients?

Thanks,

Kain

Hi Kain_W.  Thanks for getting back to me.  I have two VM addresses and two work addresses, all of which were working fine until I had to re-install Windows.  Outlook now doesn't connect with any of them.

What version of MS Outlook are you using?

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Hi Sololobo

I have Office 365 installed.

Thanks, Garry.

Anankha
Problem sorter

As your screenshot needs to be approved before appearing here, please can you type out the error message?
Try setting up the account using Windows Mail, if you receive the same error then something is incorrect with your account.
You should try setting up the account manually using the ‘Other’ option & use the virginmedia settings:

imap.virginmedia.com:993:1
SSL yes/on
smtp.virginmedia.com:465:1
SSL on/yes
Username is your full email address
Authentication should be set to ‘password’.

My Broadband Ping - Virginmedia

You may need to manually add your email account. 

Use advanced setup to add a POP or IMAP email account in Outlook for Windows

If you need to enter specific values for incoming and outgoing server names, port numbers, or SSL settings, you can use Outlook's advanced setup option. You can use these instructions to add a POP or IMAP account to Outlook.

1. Open Outlook and select File > Add Account.

2. On the next screen, enter your email address, select Advanced options, then check the box for Let me set up my account manually and select Connect.

3. Select your account type. Most of the time when you need to use this option, you'll select IMAP.

4. The Account settings screen should be pre-populated with most of the account settings you need. Enter your incoming and outgoing server settings as provided by Anankha and then select Next.

5. Enter your password and then select Connect.

If using POP the server is pop3.virginmedia.com with port number 995

It's What I Do.
I Drink and I
Remember Things.

Only mark a post as helpful if your issue has been resolved.

Thanks for coming back to us @Garry-O.

Have you been able to get this issue resolved with the help from the community members or is the issue still ongoing for you?

Regards,

Steven_L

Thanks Anankha.  I have now solved the problem by downloading Mozilla Thunderbird.  All emails addresses work fine on there, so it's obviously an issue with Outlook, although their system is less than helpful.

Garry

Thanks Sololobo. I have now solved the problem by downloading Mozilla Thunderbird. All emails addresses work fine on there, so it's obviously an issue with Outlook, although their system is less than helpful.

Garry