Menu
Anniecrackers
Tuning in
Message 1 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Can’t access virgin email account

I have not been able to access my email account since 1 January 2019. I am signing in with my correct username and password but it keeps telling me that they are incorrect. I have tried to reset password but I keep getting a message saying my username is unknown. I do not have virgin media phone, tv or broadband so when I try ringing customer support it only asks me to select those options and to give my virgin phone number which obviously I do not have.

I have tried to sign in on my i phone mobile, iPad and laptop with no success and I desperately need to access my email. Please can somebody help.

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can’t access virgin email account

you account is gone.

Vm email is only available for VM internet customers.

When you left your account should of been deleted 90 days after you left. The system often missed the deletion of accounts but VM systems are catching up and finding and removing all the accounts not connected to a customer.

0 Kudos
Anniecrackers
Tuning in
Message 3 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Thanks but That’s not what I wanted to hear. Surely I should have been given some warning?  I closed my account over 5 years ago but have been able to continue to use the email without any issue. Is there any way to verify if this is correct?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 4 of 21
Flag for a moderator

it was in the T&C. Its correct. VM will not help non-customers

Have a read here
https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/m-p/3492073#M147177

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Superuser
Superuser
Message 5 of 21
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

@Anniecrackers wrote:

Thanks but That’s not what I wanted to hear. Surely I should have been given some warning?  I closed my account over 5 years ago but have been able to continue to use the email without any issue. Is there any way to verify if this is correct?

At the end of the you are supposed to check the T&C's when you sign up.  After all you usually end up clicking a link to say that you've read and accept them.  If you've left 5 years ago then Virgin Media owes you no duty of care.

Running an email service costs money.  These costs are factored into the amount people pay for their internet access, even though it is given for "free".  The fact that Virgin Media email accounts close after 90 days is no secret, for example

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/can-i-keep-my-old-email-address-ask-our-expert

https://www.saga.co.uk/magazine/technology/internet/communications/switch-providers-and-keep-your-em...

Note that while webmail access is the first to go - it MIGHT (and I emphasise the use of the word MIGHT), be possible to use an email client such as Thunderbird to get at your emails before the account is deleted fully (provided you remember your email address and password).

However once the deletion process has begun, the main certainty is that you will ultimately lose all access to any emails currently on Virgin Media's system so you need to act fast.

Tim

Only use Helpful answer if your problems been solved.

Richy20
Settling in
Message 6 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Hi All

I have the exact same problem, where on the 1st January I was not able to access my email on my laptop. It says my password or username is wrong, or it asks me if im a robot etc. My password and username are saved on auto complete, so I know they are correct. It simply wont let me login to my email. To confirm that account closure is not the issue, I can still log into my emails using my mobile phone...how is this possible ??

There is clearly an issue with the login screen / the way it is letting me login / or a new security setting etc. Although, I can still get my emails, it is so much easier using a desktop, or laptop. Also, to eliminate a problem with my laptop I have tried three different PC's from 3 different UK locations.

Any clever people out have an idea, as I cant get through to VM to find out

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 7 of 21
Flag for a moderator

If you do not have a paid for VM broadband account then your days of using VM e-mail are over. As explained in the post above web mail access is withdrawn first when an address is being closed, followed by e-mail client access a short time later. No great mystery here.

Your conclusion that there must be something wrong with the log-in process is not correct in the circumstances I have described - and as you say you have the same problem as the other poster in this thread.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Richy20
Settling in
Message 8 of 21
Flag for a moderator

So, do I assume that I will loose access to emails via mobile very shortly then? and does the fact that I have a VM Mobile account count for nothing ?

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 9 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Yes and yes. The only account that matters for the right to use VM e-mail is VM broadband.

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
Richy20
Settling in
Message 10 of 21
Flag for a moderator

Okie Dokie, and thanks for the help....that's another customer VM has lost then, I'll switch everything to Sky then and cancel my mobile account. VM sure know how to upset their customers ( although its in the T&C's )