Menu
Soos_Mc
On our wavelength
Message 1 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Can't access NTLworld email

Morning All

I get into my Virgin account but when I click to go into my email I get a  message in black on white screen on left hand side of screen saying

"Connection error The Server is not available right now  Retry" Clicking retry has no effect.

Have had this for a few days. Changed password, no effect.

Is this my connection or should I report as a fault?  My IT support ( my sons) are away!

Thanks

0 Kudos
Superuser
Superuser
Message 2 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Re: Can't access NTLworld email

Try clearing your browser cache and and VM related cookies (might be easier in the short term to clear all cookies).

-----------------------

Superuser 18/19.
Use Kudos to say thanks
Tick an answer as "helpful" only when the problem is solved
Please don't send me private messages unless I ask you to.
I do not work for VM. The advice I give is based on my best understanding of VM policy and practice. You rely on it at your own risk.
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 3 of 15
Flag for a moderator

The first thing to try is clearing the cache and cookies of all Virgin related items.  (or you could initially use incognito or a different browser to verify that it is the cookies that are the problem).

If that doesn't work, post back with more information on the browser you are using and the exact error message or a screen shot with personal information blocked out.  The community should be able to help just as well as the IT dept!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

If you want to say thanks > click 'Kudos'.
Have we solved your issue? > click 'Mark as Helpful Answer'
Soos_Mc
On our wavelength
Message 4 of 15
Flag for a moderator

Thank you I did clear cache and cookies, made no difference. I can access email on my phone so I will wait for my sons' help.
0 Kudos
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 5 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

Don't give up!  Have you tried a different browser?  This could be a password out of sync problem - the different servers at VM don't always get updated properly.  I'm trying to find the link to the correct advice.  I'll get  back to you when I find it or one of the experienced community members will know it by heart!

MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 6 of 15
Flag for a moderator
Helpful Answer

(credit for this goes to @HowardML, who wrote a post I have found and edited.)

There are a few reasons you might be having trouble - so this will give you (or your sons) some clues.  They are all connected with the way VM protect their mail system from unauthorised use. VM may lock the password until it is changed.

1. Your account has been hacked by spammers and the credentials are being used to send spam. VM can see on their e-mail logs. They will lock the account until the password is changed. They may also send a text message to say what they have done if they have a mobile number for you. They will also put a letter in the post, but that may take a few days to arrive. You would see nothing of this on your system.

2. Your account is using an insecure password. When they spot it VM lock it out until the password is changed. 

3. You are not actually VM broadband customer or you are using e-mail addresses that have become "orphaned" though you remain broadband customers. This can be a bit of an issue to put right.

4. Simply the distributed password servers that hold address password details have got out of sync. 

Mostly in the situations I have described you can resolve this issue easily and quickly by a password change on your e-mail address. You do this via My Virginmedia. Once the password is changed it will be necessary to go into your other devices and amend your password to the new one.  You may also need to check that your device is connecting to the correct servers

I have referenced a helpfile to help you with this:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

It has generic application on password changes.

Read this about orphan accounts

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Orphan-Email-accounts/td-p/3492073

VM settings for your devices:

https://help.virginmedia.com/system/templates/selfservice/vm/help/customer/locale/en-GB/portal/20030...

SDC
Super solver
Message 7 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@MissPasko wrote:

... This could be a password out of sync problem - the different servers at VM don't always get updated properly. I'm trying to find the link to the correct advice.  I'll get  back to you when I find it or one of the experienced community members will know it by heart!

This one, perhaps? >>> https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/ntlworld-email-settings-help/td-p/3884864

-------------------------------------- sig start --------------------------------------
A dog is for life, not just for Christmas.
A VM email account is NOT for life, its maximum span is the duration of its associated VM broadband account + 90 days.
-------------------------------------- sig end --------------------------------------
Soos_Mc
On our wavelength
Message 8 of 15
Flag for a moderator

I changed my password this morning!
0 Kudos
Highlighted
MissPasko
Well-informed
Message 9 of 15
Flag for a moderator

@SDC wrote:

This one, perhaps? >>> https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/ntlworld-email-settings-help/td-p/3884864

Yes - that is a great link!

Soos_Mc
On our wavelength
Message 10 of 15
Flag for a moderator

When I click on Email on my VM page it takes me to

https://mail2.virginmedia.com/appsuite/

Then says

Connection error

The service is not available right now. Retry       

It has been saying that for 2 days.