cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can someone else take my email address?

Fits1Toland
Joining in

Hello

if I leave virgin media I appreciate my email accounts will be deleted after 90 days, but can someone else then obtain these old email addresses? Main concern is that companies i previously registered with will still continue to send emails to these old addresses… and other members of my family also use their blue yonder accounts. Ideally they should never be able to be picked up by anyone again

3 REPLIES 3

Graham_A
Very Insightful Person
Very Insightful Person

@Fits1Toland 

Absolutely not.  Email addresses from VM including the legacy domains like blueyonder are unique and once deleted cannot be taken by another person.

This has always been the case. Also no email addresses on the legacy domains have been able to be created for several years.  In addition, since May 2022 VM have stopped allowing any email addresses to be created using the Virginmedia.com domain.

I'm a Very Insightful Person, I'm here to share knowledge, I don't work for Virgin Media, I'm a VM customer. There are no guarantees that my advice will work. Please read the FAQs
Have I helped? Click Mark as Helpful Answer or use Kudos to say thanks

jem101
Superstar

@Fits1Toland wrote:

Hello

if I leave virgin media I appreciate my email accounts will be deleted after 90 days, but can someone else then obtain these old email addresses? Main concern is that companies i previously registered with will still continue to send emails to these old addresses… and other members of my family also use their blue yonder accounts. Ideally they should never be able to be picked up by anyone again

Well yes, the response from Graham above is the ‘official’ response, but, the equally (semi) official arrangement is that your email address and mailbox will be deleted 90 days after you leave. Well, except there are verified reports on here, and acknowledged by the forum team (VM employees) that sometimes email mailboxes, and addresses linger on for months, years, indeed decades after you leave - so really don’t rely on it!

The best thing is to work on the basis that VM may or may not delete the mailboxes and addresses, but you need to make your own arrangements, ie what companies have the old address registered as your current address etc? In theory if you have transitioned everything across to a new address then it really doesn’t matter if the old one still works or may, or may not, be compromised - it isn’t linked to anything important!

Thanks for the very quick response both. Must say moving house is a lot easier! You can imagine, as it’s a blueyonder address, I have used it for over 15 years so who knows which companies has it now! I’ve over 135000 emails against this account so trawling through that lot to see which companies i need to update would be a bit off a pain… yes I’ve updated the main ones but i really can’t remember what details I’ve provided to who over all that time…could this then compromise gdpr? Can of worms there